A British court ruled on Friday that a man who hacked into US military computers can seek a new hearing in his battle to avoid extradition.
Lord Justice Maurice Kay said the fact that Gary McKinnon had been diagnosed recently with Asperger’s syndrome, a form of autism, merits further consideration. He agreed to permit McKinnon’s lawyers to present arguments at a hearing in March that will determine if he gets a chance to formally appeal the extradition.
US prosecutors say McKinnon, 42, broke into 97 computers belonging to NASA, the US Department of Defense and several branches of the military from a bedroom in a north London home, causing nearly US$1 billion in damage.
McKinnon said he was looking for evidence of Unidentified Flying Objects and only succeeded in his hack because of lax security.
His lawyers said McKinnon he is likely to become suicidal if he is removed to the US away from family and familiar surroundings.
His attorney Karen Todner said British Home Secretary Jacqui Smith did not consider these risks properly when she ruled in October that the extradition should proceed.
US officials say McKinnon’s hacking — which took place soon after the Sept. 11 attacks on the US — shut down the US Army district responsible for protecting Washington and cleared logs from computers at Naval Weapons Station Earle in New Jersey, which tracks the location and battle-readiness of US Navy ships.
McKinnon was caught in 2002 when investigators traced software used in the attacks to his girlfriend’s e-mail account. If he is extradited, he will face trial on eight charges of computer fraud.
Each count could bring a sentence of 10 years in prison and a US$250,000 fine, but US prosecutors have said he would likely receive a much lighter sentence.
McKinnon’s lawyers had argued that any alleged offense that took place in Britain should be tried in Britain, but British and European courts have so far rejected repeated legal attempts to prevent his extradition.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver