Russia’s state-controlled gas company said it is increasing the price it wants Ukraine to pay for natural gas, hardening its position in a dispute that has decreased supplies to Europe.
Gazprom CEO Alexei Miller said Sunday that the company wanted US$450 per 1,000 cubic meters, up from its last offer of US$418.
Ukraine’s state gas company accused Gazprom of being unwilling to seek a compromise and said any price increase should be accompanied by a similar hike in the fee Ukraine gets from Russia to move gas through its pipelines on to European customers.
PHOTO: AFP
Russia’s tough stance in the negotiations may reflect both political and economic considerations. Gazprom, which once aspired to be the largest corporation in the world, has been hit hard by the financial crisis and is deep in debt.
The negotiations also have been hampered by strained relations between the Kremlin and Ukraine’s West-leaning government. Kiev has angered Moscow by seeking to join NATO and by supporting Georgia during its August war with Russia.
Last year, Ukraine paid US$179.50. Its state company, Naftogaz, refused Gazprom’s offer of US$250 before negotiations over a contract for this year broke down on Wednesday, prompting Gazprom to shut down gas supplies to Ukraine.
Gazprom has continued to send gas to Europe, which relies on the Russian company for a quarter of its gas. But 80 percent of the gas Gazprom sends west passes through the same pipelines that supply Ukraine, and over the past four days the pressure in the pipelines has dropped. Some European countries — Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Romania — have reported a decline in supplies.
Ukraine has said it has sufficient gas reserves to meet its needs for weeks.
Gazprom said he hoped Sunday’s offer would bring Naftogaz back to the table as soon as possible, but Naftogaz remained unbowed.
“We are open for negotiations if there are reasonable proposals that correspond to European market conditions,” Naftogaz spokesman Valentyn Zemlyansky said. “If the price for gas is US$450, then the transit fee will rise accordingly.”
European countries now pay about US$500 per 1,000 cubic meters, including transit costs, but the price is expected to decline significantly as the gas market begins to reflect the fall in world oil prices.
The system requires a minimum amount of gas to maintain pipeline pressure.
Russia has accused Ukraine of siphoning off gas from Russian shipments, while Ukraine has accused Gazprom of refusing to supply the gas that the system needs in order to pump fuel to Europe.
“Then they say that Ukraine is stealing it,” Zemlyansky said.
Gazprom has said it is fulfilling all of its transit obligations and insisted that the extra gas is Ukraine’s responsibility.
Gazprom also has been pumping more gas to Europe via pipelines in Belarus and the Blue Stream pipeline that sends gas to Turkey.
Bulgaria’s pipeline operator said Sunday that Russian gas supplies have dropped by up to 15 percent. Bulgargaz CEO Dimitar Gogov told Bulgarian National Radio that the situation was not yet critical. Bulgaria gets 90 percent of the gas it uses from Russia.
Joanna Zakrzewska, spokeswoman for Poland’s gas monopoly PGNiG, said deliveries arriving via Ukraine have dropped 11 percent. She said the shortfall in deliveries via Ukraine is being made up for in its entirety for now via transit routes through Belarus.
Martin Chalupsky, spokesman for Czech gas importer RWE Transgas, told Czech public radio Sunday that deliveries through a pipeline crossing Ukraine have dropped 5 percent. He said the deficit was being made up with supplies arriving from Norway and from the country’s reserves.
Germany, one of Gazprom’s biggest customers, has been receiving its gas in full, said Martin Weyand, head of the country’s BDEW energy industry association.
During a similar dispute between Ukraine and Russia in 2006, several European countries saw their gas supplies drop by 30 percent or more. This time Gazprom’s customers were better prepared, having built up substantial reserves. Gazprom also has taken additional steps to guarantee supplies.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver