A gunman dressed as Santa Claus who opened fire on a Christmas Eve party at the home of his ex-wife’s family was planning to flee to Canada, police said, as a ninth body was recovered from the charred wreckage of the massacre.
Police said Bruce Pardo, 45, was found with US$17,000 taped to his body and a plane ticket to Canada after he killed himself following his murderous assault on the home of his former in-laws in the Los Angeles suburb of Covina.
The unemployed aerospace engineer burst into the property armed with four pistols shortly before midnight on Wednesday and sprayed guests with bullets before the house erupted in flames.
The house was owned by James and Alicia Ortega, an elderly couple who were retired from their spray-painting business and who often invited their extended family to celebrate Christmas.
An eight-year-old girl who had opened the door to Pardo was shot in the face but survived. Later on Friday, police released harrowing 911 calls apparently made by the girl’s mother immediately after the incident.
“We need someone immediately. My daughter’s been shot. She was shot in the face,” the woman said, with the anguished high-pitched wailing of a child clearly audible in the background.
Pardo had recently gone through a bitter divorce with his wife — who was reported to be among the dead — but there were no further clues as to what may have triggered the murderous rampage.
The 1.9m, 113kg Pardo had no criminal record and nothing in his personal history to suggest a predisposition to violence, police said. Friends from a church Pardo attended regularly expressed disbelief.
“He was just the nicest guy,” said Jan Detanna, who worked with Pardo as an usher at the Holy Redeemer Catholic Church.
Covina police chief Kim Raney told reporters Pardo had apparently intended to flee to Canada following the attack, saying thousands of dollars in cash had been found strapped to his body after he shot himself early on Thursday.
He had also bought a ticket to Canada leaving early Christmas morning but scrapped plans to go on the run after suffering third degree burns in the house blaze that melted parts of his Santa Claus costume to his body, Raney said.
“All indications are he intended to commit the crime, flee the country, and it appears he didn’t anticipate injuring himself to the point where obviously he took his own life,” Raney said.
Police said Pardo had arrived at the house with what appeared to be a homemade flamethrower comprised of two canisters, one containing oxygen or carbon dioxide, the other a high-octane racing fuel.
However, police believe the device exploded sooner than Pardo intended, leaving him with serious burn injuries.
Pardo killed himself with a single shot to the head hours after the rampage at his brother’s home in Sylmar, approximately 40km away.
Police revealed that the car used by Pardo in the attack, found outside his brother’s home, had been rigged with a booby trap that would be triggered when officers attempted to move his discarded Santa Claus suit.
“He basically wired the Santa Claus suit with a device to explode,” Raney said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver