Guinea was in turmoil yesterday as the government tried to see down a coup attempt by mutinous soldiers who tried to step into the vacuum after the death of veteran ruler Lansana Conte.
The West African nation, the world’s largest producer of aluminium ore, was left in disarray on Tuesday after the death of the iron-fisted Conte, a reclusive chain-smoking career soldier who ruled the impoverished country for 24 years.
The African Union’s Peace and Security Council began a closed-door meeting yesterday in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on the unrest in Guinea, which threatens to bring fresh turmoil to restive west Africa.
The members of the African Union’s Peace and Security Council observed a minute’s silence before the closed door discussions.
Troops in the west African country launched a putsch on Tuesday, just hours after Conte’s death, and announced the formation of a ruling council.
“The institutions of the republic have shown themselves to be incapable of resolving the crises which have been confronting the country,” Captain Moussa Dadis Camara, spokesman for the coup, announced on state radio and television.
The “national council for democracy and development” comprises 26 military officers and six civilians, Camara said.
The military component included a general and nine officers with the rank of colonel or lieutenant-colonel.
Guinea’s army chief, General Diarra Camara, appealed to his “dear comrades in arms” for calm and to prepare to give Conte a dignified funeral.
Camara, who had appeared on television overnight with the prime minister and parliamentary speaker announcing Conte’s death, said: “I’m not stopping anyone from having ambitions, but my wish is that we wait at least until after the funeral.”
Government loyalists in the military said the plotters had been split over their choice of leader.
A majority chose Lieutenant-Colonel Sekouba Konate, commander of the airborne battalion which is the army’s elite force, despite his not being the top officer taking part in the coup, military sources said.
But Guinean Prime Minister Ahmed Tidiane Souare and Parliament Speaker Aboubacar Sompare on Tuesday contested the plotters’ assertion that they were in charge and scrambled to restore order.
Sompare said only a “minority of soldiers and officers” were involved in the coup attempt, adding: “I am sure they will see reason. They have not used force. There has been no threat against anybody.”
The parliament speaker, who under the Constitution should replace Conte, urged Guinean soldiers to oppose the coup.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and other world leaders swiftly condemned the attempted coup and called for a democratic transfer of power.
“At this time of transition in Guinea, the secretary-general stresses the need for a peaceful and democratic transfer of power, in accordance with the Constitution,” a UN spokeswoman said.
Similar appeals came from the US, France -— Guinea’s former colonial power — and African Union head Jean Ping.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
SUSPICION: Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing returned to protests after attending a summit at which he promised to hold ‘free and fair’ elections, which critics derided as a sham The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen to more than 3,300, state media said yesterday, as the UN aid chief made a renewed call for the world to help the disaster-struck nation. The quake on Friday last week flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure across the country, resulting in 3,354 deaths and 4,508 people injured, with 220 others missing, new figures published by state media showed. More than one week after the disaster, many people in the country are still without shelter, either forced to sleep outdoors because their homes were destroyed or wary of further collapses. A UN estimate
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term