The Israeli military indicted just 6 percent of all soldiers accused of criminal offenses against Palestinians between September 2001 and the end of last year, an Israeli human rights group said yesterday.
The Yesh Din group said that from the beginning of the second Palestinian uprising, more than 1,200 investigations into suspect activities by Israeli soldiers were conducted, but only 78 of the investigations resulted in charges being filed. Yesh Din said its the report was based on information provided by the Israeli military.
The military said the group failed to provide a copy of the report for study and it could not immediately comment on specific allegations but added that it had enlarged its military prosecution staff and “works tirelessly” to maintain ethical standards.
In the 78 indictments, 135 soldiers were charged with crimes, and 113 of those soldiers convicted, the report said. Many of the cases, including an incident where a soldier shot a Palestinian with rubber bullets at close range and was publicly criticized by Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak, resulted in minor convictions, such as “inappropriate behavior,” the group said.
Only four soldiers at the time of the report’s publication had been convicted of manslaughter.
“To me, it means that the Israeli military is not doing enough to protect Palestinian civilians from criminal actions by its own soldiers,” said Lior Yavne, research director for Yesh Din who helped compile the study on military investigations into crimes against Palestinians.
The military said each case is dealt with according to its own particular circumstances and the evidence available.
Meanwhile, Israeli forces have assassinated Palestinians in the West Bank in apparent defiance of High Court rules for these kinds of operations, the Haaretz daily reported yesterday.
Such killings, authorized in writing by top-ranking army officers, were conducted even if the operation put the lives of innocent bystanders at risk or when it could have been possible to arrest the suspects instead, the paper said.
”If the guy doesn’t put his hands up we don’t ask questions, we immediately establish contact,” former regional commander General Yair Naveh told Haaretz.
The newspaper said the documents were apparently in violation of a 2006 High Court ruling, which held assassinations are permissible only if the target cannot be arrested.
In other developments, Israel closed its cargo crossings with Gaza on Tuesday because of Palestinian rocket fire at Israel.
Also on Tuesday, the Supreme Court also ordered the government to respond within 15 days to an appeal by the Tel Aviv-based Foreign Press Association against a ban on foreign reporters entering the Gaza Strip.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver