Myanmar has earned more than US$175 million from its latest government-sponsored sale of gems, despite a US ban on their importation, an official said.
Most of the revenue from the 13-day auction was earned from the sales of jade, which fetched more than US$172 million. Gemstones and pearls were the other items offered.
An organizer of the gems emporium who spoke on condition of anonymity said on Friday that 2,648 gem merchants participated from nearly a dozen countries, including China, Thailand, Japan and Canada.
In July, US President George W. Bush signed legislation banning the import of gems from Myanmar, which was already the voluntary policy of retailers such as Tiffany’s and Bulgari.
It is one of several economic sanctions that Washington has applied to Myanmar’s military government because of its poor human rights record and failure to hand power to a democratically elected government.
US officials said at that time that Myanmar had been evading earlier gem sanctions by laundering stones in other countries before being shipped to the US.
Myanmar gem sellers say the sanctions have little impact on their business because they rely on Chinese and Thai gem merchants, who are the major buyers.
The largest contingent at this latest sale was the more than 2,200 gem merchants who came from China, the main market for Myanmar jade. The second-largest contingent of more than 70 gem merchants were Thais, who usually dominate gem and jewelry bidding.
Organized by the Mines Ministry, the events are major revenue earners for Myanmar — one of the biggest jade and gem-producing countries in the world.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term