A popular Malaysian blogger yesterday pleaded not guilty to sedition over an article he wrote that linked the deputy prime minister and his wife to the murder of a Mongolian woman.
Raja Petra Kamaruddin, founder of the popular Malaysia Today site that frequently airs criticism of government leaders, has also been held in detention since August under tough internal security laws.
Najib, who is expected to replace Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi as the country’s next leader, has denied any involvement in the 2006 murder of 28-year-old Altantuya Shaariibuu.
Najib’s close friend, Abdul Razak Baginda, is on trial for abetting the murder, and two police officers from a unit that guards the prime minister and his deputy have been charged with the killing.
Raja Petra, 58, pleaded not guilty to the sedition charge lodged over an article published in April entitled “Let’s Send the Altantuya Murderers to Hell.”
“I claim trial,” a tired-looking Raja Petra told the court.
Lawyers said that Malaysia’s Sedition Act, a relic from British colonial times, has historically been used to prevent uprising against the leadership, as well as disharmony among the people.
Raja Petra’s wife, Marina Lee Abdullah, said he would not be cowed into silence, and urged the government to abandon its use of the Internal Security Act (ISA) which allows for detention without trial.
“He is not giving up. He is not a threat to security. If he has done wrong, charge him in court. Do not detain him under the ISA,” she told reporters.
“What’s wrong in exposing leaders who indulge in corruption? Are we supposed to remain silent?” she said.
About three dozen supporters gathered outside the court, wearing T-shirts with slogans such as “I am with RPK,” “Free RPK,” and “No to ISA.”
The ISA, which human rights groups have pushed to have abolished, allows for renewable two-year periods of detention without trial and is normally used against terrorism suspects.
If convicted of sedition, Raja Petra faces a three-year jail term.
The hearing will continue at least until the end of the week and the court will then decide whether the case goes to trial.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
SUSPICION: Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing returned to protests after attending a summit at which he promised to hold ‘free and fair’ elections, which critics derided as a sham The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen to more than 3,300, state media said yesterday, as the UN aid chief made a renewed call for the world to help the disaster-struck nation. The quake on Friday last week flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure across the country, resulting in 3,354 deaths and 4,508 people injured, with 220 others missing, new figures published by state media showed. More than one week after the disaster, many people in the country are still without shelter, either forced to sleep outdoors because their homes were destroyed or wary of further collapses. A UN estimate
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term