The death toll has risen to 254 in a landslide triggered by the collapse of an illegal mining dump, which engulfed a village in northern China, a government official said yesterday.
By late on Saturday, rescuers had identified 128 of the dead bodies recovered after Monday’s accident in Shanxi Province’s Xiangfen County, a duty officer named Zhang at the Shanxi provincial government said.
The tally could rise as more than 1,000 rescue workers comb through 30 hectares of sludge and mining waste covering the area, where hundreds more people could be buried.
The landslide last Monday was triggered when the retaining wall of a mining dump containing tons of liquid iron-ore waste collapsed, inundating the village of 1,300 residents and an outdoor market with hundreds of patrons in a matter of minutes.
Authorities have refused to give an estimate for the number of people missing. Earlier in the week, state media quoted government officials as saying hundreds could be dead but later denied making those statements.
Rescue workers and survivors have said that hundreds remained missing.
Identifying the bodies has proven difficult because most of the workers at the illegal mine were migrants from elsewhere in Shanxi, or from Chongqing city and central Hubei Province, state media has said, citing rescuers.
The Xinhua news Agency cited the head of the rescue effort as saying the team was searching for bodies in a 300m ditch filled with silt.
“This is the toughest phase of the ongoing rescue,” the report quoted Lian Zhendong, chief of the rescue headquarters, as saying. “We will do our utmost to finish the search in three to five days.”
Power and telecommunications were restored at the site, Xinhua said. A photographer at the site said police have now blocked access to the disaster zone.
The head of Xiangfen County and the county’s Communist Party committee chief have been suspended from duty, Xinhua said.
Thirteen officials from the Tashan Mining Co, which ran the illegal mine, have been taken into police custody, including the chairman of the company’s board of directors, the mine owner, the deputy mine chief, and company accountants, it earlier reported.
Xinhua said the accident led to direct economic losses of 9.18 million yuan (US$1.34 million).
The disaster underscores two major public safety concerns in China: the failure to enforce protective measures in the country’s notoriously deadly mines, and the unsound state of many of its bridges, dams and other aging infrastructure.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver