US President George W. Bush is drawing closer to a decision on US troop levels in Iraq after receiving top US commander General David Petraeus’ advice, the White House said on Thursday.
The vastly unpopular war is a central front in the political war ahead of the Nov. 4 elections that will decide who succeeds Bush — and who will inherit the conflict he launched with the March 2003 US-led invasion.
“The president is now considering his options and I would expect that as he works through that, as soon as he’s finished, we’d be able to provide you more information,” White House Spokeswoman Dana Perino said.
Perino offered no further details, but hinted that US Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Admiral Michael Mullen, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs, may say more at a congressional hearing next week.
The issue of possible US troop withdrawals from Iraq looms large over the US presidential election, with the vastly unpopular war fueling the White House hopes of Bush’s Democratic foes.
Bush’s preferred successor, Senator John McCain, has pinned his hopes on his early and fervent support of the so-called US troop “surge” that has helped bring down once-overwhelming levels of sectarian violence.
McCain’s rival, Democrat Barack Obama, has pledged to begin troop withdrawals immediately if elected and foresees most combat troops being out of Iraq by late 2010.
In a television interview on Thursday Obama said the surge “succeeded beyond our wildest dreams,” but said political reconciliation in Iraq was still wanting.
“I think that the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated,” Obama said on the Fox News show The O’Reilly Factor.
Recent polls show two out of three Americans oppose the war and want to see a quick withdrawal, but many view the “surge” as a success story, and Bush has repeatedly said that US politics would not shape his decision.
But the US president now faces freshly confident Iraqi leaders who are calling for a precise date for US forces to leave — the kind of timetable Bush has long described as a recipe for a catastrophic defeat.
The issue has been one of the sticking points in talks between Washington and Baghdad on an accord laying out the rights and responsibilities of US troops after the UN mandate for the occupation lapses in December.
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki says the deal is all but done, and that it calls for foreign forces to be gone by 2011.
Petraeus told the Financial Times in an interview on Thursday that US combat troops could be out of Baghdad by July next year, but did not offer any information about the strategic agreement.
The general recently wrapped up a 45-day assessment period, which began in late July when the last of the five US brigades sent to Iraq as part of the escalation announced in January last year returned home.
“That period now having ended, General Petraeus through his chain of command has given his assessment, and Secretary Gates and Chairman Mullen have briefed the president,” Perino said.
Bush has repeatedly said he hopes to bring more US troops home, though Georgia’s recent withdrawal of its roughly 2,000 soldiers from Iraq in the face of a war with Russia may have complicated the US strategic picture.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but