South Korea said yesterday its ban on tours to a North Korean resort will stay in force until Pyongyang gives firm safety guarantees, following the shooting of a holidaymaker that shocked the nation.
“The tourism at Mount Kumgang cannot resume ... unless we secure a firm guarantee of the safety of tourists,” said South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, who called last Friday’s fatal shooting intolerable and demanded a joint probe into it.
Mount Kumgang earns the impoverished North tens of millions of dollars each year.
A soldier shot a 53-year-old housewife who strayed into a closed military area adjoining the resort, further souring relations between the neighbors.
The North cut official ties with the South earlier this year and refuses to let it send government investigators to the scene. It blames Seoul for the tragedy, while expressing regret at the death.
“North Korea should immediately comply with a joint investigation by the South and the North,” said Lee, as quoted by his spokesman.
The president said the South’s government and civilians had provided “massive aid” to the communist state over the past decade, including through Kumgang.
“It is intolerable that, for whatever reason, North Korea has shot and killed an unarmed civilian tourist,” he said.
The unification ministry, in a message that the North refuses to receive, has called the case a “shocking and clear-cut violation” of agreements guaranteeing the safety of southern tourists.
The North said the woman, who was taking a dawn stroll on the beach near her hotel, had gone “beyond the clearly marked boundary fence” and intruded deep into a military area.
According to a report seen by tour boss Yoon Man-joon, the North says its soldier told Park Wang-ja three times: “Stop or I shoot.” It says he then fired a warning shot before aiming three rounds at her. She was hit at least twice and died on the beach.
The report was disclosed by Yoon, president of Hyundai Asan, which developed and operates the Kumgang resort and other projects aimed at reconciliation. He returned on Tuesday from a four-day visit to the North.
Explaining the delay in notifying the tour operator of the killing, the North reportedly said it had not been immediately able to identify Park as a tourist since she had no identification papers.
The Seoul government has set up an investigation team to interview local witnesses to the tragedy. It was due to make an interim report later yesterday.
Inter-Korean relations have worsened since Lee took office in February, promising a tougher line on Pyongyang. Despite the killing, Lee last Friday offered to enter dialogue with the North, who rebuffed the proposal.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver