French-Colombian politician Ingrid Betancourt left Bogota late on Thursday bound for France and a meeting with French President Nicolas Sarkozy one day after her jungle rescue from six years in rebel captivity.
Betancourt, who was snatched with three US hostages and 11 Colombians from the grip of the FARC rebels on Wednesday by Colombian soldiers, had earlier held a tearful reunion with her son and daughter at Bogota airport.
“I wanted to feel them, touch them, look at them ... They are so beautiful,” she said of Melanie and Lorenzo, who were 16 and 13 when she was captured in February 2002 while campaigning for the country’s presidency.
PHOTO: AP
“I thank God for this moment. These are my little ones, my pride, my reason for living, my light, my moon, my stars, for them I wanted to leave the jungle, to see them again,” Betancourt exclaimed, euphoric despite not sleeping a wink on her first night of freedom in six years.
Her children and her former husband Fabrice Delloye arrived earlier in the day on a special flight from France together with French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner and she flew back to Paris with them late on Thursday.
A day after her rescue, Betancourt urged Colombia and the international community to keep working to free the hundreds of other hostages still held by Colombia’s FARC rebels, Latin America’s most fearsome leftwing insurgency.
The three US military contractors released in the raid were also to be reunited with their families in San Antonio, Texas, after being held by the FARC for more than five years.
US military doctors said that Marc Gonsalves, Thomas Howes and Keith Stansell, employees of US defense contractor Northrop Grumman captured while on a narcotics surveillance mission in Colombia, were all in good shape and had proved to be very resilient after physical and psychological checkups.
“They’re in great spirits and we’re continuing the medical evaluation process as we speak,” Colonel Jackie Hayes told a press conference.
In Bogota, the seven Colombian soldiers and four police officers who were rescued — some after more than 10 years in captivity — received rapturous welcomes at ceremonies complete with mariachi bands and streets bedecked with banners.
The country was in a celebratory mood after the cunning rescue mission, which went off bloodlessly in a huge triumph for Colombian President Alvaro Uribe’s long battle against the leftist rebel army.
France too was celebrating the news, after Betancourt became a household name in the country thanks to a relentless campaign for her release.
The 46-year-old politician was expected to be treated to a hero’s welcome yesterday in Paris, the city where she grew up, studied and raised her two children with Delloye.
Sarkozy, who made Betancourt’s release a top priority, was to welcome her personally.
Betancourt, who is Catholic, has also been invited to a face-to-face meeting with Pope Benedict XVI next week at the Vatican.
“I don’t have a date set yet but the Vatican has confirmed my meeting with the Pope,” she said. “It is a meeting that one cannot pass up.”
Betancourt admitted she had been taken by surprise by the army operation.
Betancourt said the hostages did not know that rebels who had come to move them to a new hideout were actually Colombian soldiers in disguise.
It was only when they were in the air that the chief of the operation said “We are the national army and you are all free,” she said.
“And the helicopter almost fell because we started jumping. We screamed, we cried, we hugged. We couldn’t believe it.”
Uribe praised the “magnificent work” of the rescue team and compared the operation “to the greatest epics in the history of man.”
In the rebels’ first reaction since the rescue, a news outlet close to FARC said they would be open to peace talks with the Uribe government.
“Definitely the future of Colombia cannot be civil war,” read the statement on the pro-rebel Anncol news agency Web site.
The agency urged FARC to “not waste a historic opportunity” to hold negotiations that “would lead to a political exit to this conflict.”
Former Cuban president Fidel Castro meanwhile praised the rescue mission and condemned the FARC for holding civilians, saying their detention was cruel and “no revolutionary purpose could justify it.”
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver