Crime is declining in South Africa with fewer robberies, rapes and murders — but more than 50 people are still killed every day, police said on Monday.
Annual crime statistics showed that the murder rate dropped 4.7 percent on the previous year with 18,487 people killed from April last year to March.
Incidents of rape in the same period decreased 8.8 percent but a staggering 36,000 women were raped last year. The number of children murdered increased by 22.2 percent, police said.
South Africa has one of the highest murder and rape rates in the world, earning it an international reputation for violence.
The government welcomed the decline but said the level of crime was still much too high as it prepares to host the 2010 World Cup soccer tournament.
“[The] government is still concerned that while they are going down, the levels of crime continue to be unacceptably high,” Safety and Security Minister Charles Nqakula said. “[It] would have wanted to see a more drastic decrease.”
Nqakula said the drop in the number of rapes was not an indication that the “scourge is lessening.”
Figures show that the murder level is at its lowest since 1994 and serious violent crimes such as robbery, assault and attempted murder decreased by 6.4 percent.
However, house robberies increased by 13.5 percent and carjackings by 4.4 percent while robberies at businesses rose 47.4 percent.
Chris De Kock, head of crime information management for the police, said the number of children under the age of 18 who had been murdered had increased from 1,152 to 1,410.
He called this “a very, very serious issue.” The number of attempted murders of children increased by 13.7 percent as well.
De Kock said most children murdered were between the ages of 16 and 18 and that most were killed by other children. Many incidents were gang related.
Johan Burger, analyst with the Pretoria-based Institute for Security Studies, said the statistics were “good news” for South Africans.
However, he said the increases in robberies of homes and small businesses are bad for the economy.
Police director Andre Pruis said the country’s security plan for the 2010 soccer tournament had been submitted to the world soccer governing body in Geneva on Monday.
Pruis said police have received 665 million rand (US$84.5 million) for equipment, including 10 water cannons, six helicopters and 10 unmanned aircraft fitted with cameras.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver