A mission to the Syrian desert by UN nuclear sleuths to examine a building flattened by Israeli aircraft could open a new front in the search for rogue states trying to develop atomic arms under the radar of the international community.
It is a low-key endeavor: Only four International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) inspectors will participate in the three-day project starting yesterday, and both Damascus and the UN agency have pulled down the blinds on news media seeking to report on the trip, keeping all details secret.
Yet the stakes are huge for both Damascus, which denies working on a secret nuclear program, and the IAEA — and through it, the US and its other 34 board member countries.
Washington hopes that the UN agency team will come back with persuasive evidence backing US intelligence that the structure hit by Israel in September was a nearly completed plutonium-producing reactor.
If so, the trip could mark the start of massive atomic agency investigation similar to the probe Iran has been subjected to over the past five years. What’s more, the probe could draw in countries like North Korea, which Washington says helped Damascus and Iran, which media reports have also linked to Syria’s nuclear strivings.
Such prospects alarm Syria. It agreed to allow the nuclear inspectors to visit the bombed Al Kibar site early this month only after months of delay. And it has already said that three other locations suspected of possibly harboring other secret nuclear activities are off limits.
Syrian President Bashar Assad re-emphasized that point earlier this month, saying visits to sites other than Al Kibar were “not within the purview of the agreement” with the IAEA.
Such comments reflect the team’s dilemma: The agency has little formal inspection rights in Syria, which has only a rudimentary declared nuclear program revolving around research and the production of isotopes for medical and agricultural uses, using a small, 27-kilowatt reactor.
Before the trip, IAEA chief Mohamed elBaradei urged Syria to show “transparency,” a call echoed by the US.
“Syria was caught withholding information from the IAEA,” said Gregory Schulte, the chief US delegate to the IAEA. “Now Syria must disclose the truth about Al Kibar and allow IAEA’s inspectors to verify that there are no other undisclosed activities.”
Such calls may fall on deaf ears, however — with the absence of binding agreements with Syria giving the agency broad authority to follow up on nuclear suspicions, the inspectors will have access only to information that the Syrians agree to.
While Damascus has agreed to let the inspectors visit the Al Kibar site, it is unclear what they will be able to do once they get there.
Diplomats accredited to the IAEA said that up to a few days ahead of the trip it was still not clear whether the team would be able to bring ground-penetrating radar needed to probe below the concrete fundament of the new building the Syrians erected on the site of the bombed facility.
How much freedom of movement they would be granted once at the site also was unclear, said the diplomats who were briefed ahead of the mission.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told