US authorities announced on Tuesday the arrest of a US Army veteran on charges he disclosed secret defense information, including on nuclear weapons, to Israel in a case linked to the huge 1980s Jonathan Pollard spy scandal.
Ben-Ami Kadish, now 84, worked as a mechanical engineer at a US Army weapons center in New Jersey, from where he provided classified documents to Israel’s consul for science affairs in New York from 1979 to 1985, the Justice Department said.
US authorities also accused Kadish of illegally acting as an agent for the Jewish state without notifying the US Attorney General’s office.
A criminal complaint stated Kadish’s Israeli contact was one of the agents whom convicted Pentagon spy Pollard used to pass thousands of secret documents to Israel in 1984 and 1985, in a case that rocked US-Israeli relations.
“In or about November 1985, Jonathan Jay Pollard was charged with espionage-related offenses in relation to his having provided classified information to CC-1, among other people,” the complaint said, referring to the same unnamed Israeli “co-conspirator” who was Kadish’s contact.
A State Department spokesman acknowledged on Tuesday that the Kadish case was “in some ways connected” to that of Pollard, who is serving a life term after being convicted on a charge of spying for Israel while working as a US naval officer.
The Israeli government publicly admitted in 1998 that Pollard had been their agent, and awarded him Israeli citizenship the same year.
Tuesday’s complaint alleges that Israeli consular official CC-1 gave Kadish lists of defense documents to obtain from the US Army’s Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center at the Picatinny Arsenal in Dover, New Jersey, where Kadish worked.
Between 1979 and 1985, Kadish took between 50 and 100 classified documents to his home in New Jersey, where CC-1 would photograph them, US prosecutors charged.
One of the documents Kadish provided to CC-1 “contained information concerning nuclear weaponry and was classified as ‘restricted data’” — a specific designation by the US Department of Energy for documents containing atomic-related information — the complaint filed in a Manhattan federal court said.
Other documents provided by Kadish and classified as “secret” by the Pentagon contained information on a modified version of an F-15 fighter jet as well as the Patriot missile air defense system.
Kadish was released on US$300,000 bail and his travel was restricted.
Washington registered its concern over spying on Tuesday with its key Middle East ally.
“We have spoken to the Israelis at the senior level,” said US State Department spokesman Gonzo Gallegos, referring to diplomats at the Israeli embassy in Washington.
Another State Department official’s terse comments over the latest case reflected renewed concern over espionage.
“Twenty-plus years ago during the Pollard case, we noted that this was not the kind of behavior we would expect from friends and allies, and that would remain the case today,” Tom Casey said. “We would expect that Israel would not be engaged in such activities.”
An Israeli defense ministry official reportedly told the Jerusalem Post that the ministry had no knowledge of the incident and learned about it from US media.
Kadish, who worked at the arsenal from 1963 to 1990, kept in touch with CC-1 via telephone and email and met the consular official in Israel in 2004, authorities said.
CC-1 left the US in 1985 and has never returned, they said.
On March 20 this year, CC-1 called Kadish to tell him to lie to US officials who had begun investigating him over the documents, an FBI wire-tap cited by authorities said.
“Don’t say anything. Let them say whatever they want. You didn’t do anything,” CC-1 told Kadish. “What happened 25 years ago? You didn’t remember anything.”
Israeli media identified Israel’s CC-1 consular attache as Yosef Yagur.
US officials said the Israeli diplomat worked during the 1970s for Israel Aircraft Industries, which at the time made weapons for Israel.
Kadish was charged with conspiring to disclose documents related to US national defense to the Israeli government and conspiring to act as an Israeli agent.
He was also charged with conspiring to hinder communication to a law enforcement officer and conspiring to make a materially false statement to an officer.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver