East Timor’s president said he believed “external elements” were supporting the rebels who tried to assassinate him in the hopes that his country would be plunged into chaos and be declared a failed state.
Jose Ramos-Horta, 58, has been recuperating in the northern Australian city of Darwin since February, when mutinous soldiers shot him outside his home in East Timor’s capital, Dili. East Timorese Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao escaped an ambush on his motorcade the same day.
The motive for the attacks, which followed more than a year of political turmoil and violence, remained unclear.
In an interview with CNN on Monday, Ramos-Horta did not identify the outsiders he believed were trying to destabilize his country or elaborate on what he thought they had been doing to support such efforts.
“An investigation has been ongoing and there is increasing evidence pointing a finger at external elements that were supporting the renegade Alfredo Reinado,” Ramos-Horta said, referring to the rebel leader who was killed during the Feb. 11 attack. “These are elements interested in destabilizing East Timor, plunging it into an endless civil war so it could be declared a failed state.”
East Timor broke from decades of often-brutal Indonesian rule in 1999 in a UN-sponsored referendum. Three years later, it became Asia’s newest nation, but the euphoria quickly evaporated amid the challenges of governing a divided, impoverished people.
The Sydney Morning Herald reported yesterday that investigators found that Reinado was involved in 47 telephone calls to and from Australia in the hours before the February attacks. It said Timorese authorities have asked Australian agencies to provide the names of the telephone subscribers and to release any recorded conversations.
In the days following the attacks, a number of people were detained in Dili, including an Australian-Timorese woman who authorities said had hosted Reinado and his accomplices at her house the night before the attacks.
Reinado and another rebel were killed in a clash with Ramos-Horta’s guards during the attack. An unknown number of rebels escaped.
In his interview with CNN, Ramos-Horta said it was imperative that the assassination attempt be properly investigated.
“Our country will need to get to the bottom of these events to heal from them,” Ramos-Horta said.
The Nobel Peace Prize winner also said the attempt on his life had made him more resolved to help improve the lives of the impoverished Timorese.
“I would say that it has, primarily, reaffirmed my personal conviction and my ambition to lift people out of extreme poverty,” he said. “Today, I have no other goal or ambition. The recent events have only served to reaffirm my lifelong commitment to helping the poor.”
Ramos-Horta plans to return to East Timor tomorrow.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver