Cuba has eased restrictions on the sale of computers, DVD players and other electrical goods in the first sign of economic liberalization since former Cuban president Fidel Castro retired last month. The appliances will go on sale immediately and be available to anybody who can pay, according to an internal government memo seen by the news agency Reuters.
The move followed promises by new Cuban President Raul Castro to improve dire living standards that make daily life a grind and erode confidence in the island's communist leadership.
MORE POWER
The memo said: "Based on the improved availability of electricity, the government at the highest level has approved the sale of some equipment which was prohibited."
The list of newly available goods included 19-inch and 24-inch TVs, electric pressure cookers, electric bicycles, car alarms and microwaves.
The sale of many appliances was banned in the 1990s, when the end of Soviet subsidies led to an energy crisis and daily blackouts. Subsidized oil from Venezuela is now filling the gap, allowing Havana's policymakers to ease restrictions.
With an average monthly salary of just ?8 (US$16), few Cubans will be able to splash out, but the relaxation was seen as a sign that the government was serious about addressing economic grievances.
LIBERALIZATION?
When illness forced Fidel Castro to step aside in 2006, there was speculation that his less ideological and more pragmatic brother would cautiously try to copy China's economic liberalization. Raul's confirmation as president last month appears to have emboldened him to make his first concrete move.
"The country's priority will be to meet the basic needs of the population, both material and spiritual," said Raul, 76, upon formally taking office.
If confirmed, the move shows practical recognition of the desire for material improvements, said David Jessop, director of the Cuba Initiative, a London-based body which promotes trade between the island and Britain.
"It will be interesting to see whether this step is followed by other changes in the coming months in relation to agriculture, travel and access to tourism facilities," he said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver