Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez threatened on Sunday to cut off oil sales to the US in an "economic war" if ExxonMobil Corp wins court judgments to seize billions of dollars in Venezuelan assets.
"If you end up freezing [the assets] and it harms us, we're going to harm you," Chavez said, turning his words to US President George W. Bush. "Do you know how? We aren't going to send oil to the United States. Take note, Mr Bush, Mr Danger."
ExxonMobil has gone after the assets of Venezuela's state oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela SA, in US, British and Dutch courts as it challenges the nationalization of a multibillion dollar oil project by Chavez's government last year. A British court has issued an injunction "freezing" as much as US$12 billion in assets.
"I speak to the US empire, because that's the master: Continue and you will see that we won't send one drop of oil to the empire of the United States," Chavez said during his weekly radio and TV program Alo Presidente.
"The outlaws of ExxonMobil will never again rob us," Chavez said, accusing the Irving, Texas-based oil giant of acting in concert with Washington and being part of corporate "worldwide mafias."
Chavez has often threatened to cut off oil shipments to the US, which is Venezuela's No. 1 client, if Washington tries to oust him.
Chavez's warnings on Sunday appeared to extend that threat to attempts by oil companies to challenge his government's nationalization drive through lawsuits.
"If the economic war continues against Venezuela, the price of oil is going to reach US$200 [a barrel] and Venezuela will join the economic war," Chavez said.
"And more than one country is willing to accompany us in the economic war," he said.
ExxonMobil spokeswoman Margaret Ross said the company had no comment. A US embassy spokeswoman in Caracas did not return a call.
The US imported 1.23 million barrels of crude oil a day from Venezuela in November, making it the fourth-biggest source of oil imports behind Canada, Saudi Arabia and Mexico, the latest US Energy Department figures showed.
Those four countries, along with Nigeria, accounted for 74 percent of US crude oil imports in November, the government said. By itself, Venezuela accounted for about 12 percent of US crude imports, the figures showed.
Venezuelan Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez has said that court orders won by ExxonMobil have "no effect" on the state oil company PDVSA and are merely "transitory measures" while Venezuela presents its case in courts in New York and London.
ExxonMobil is also taking its claims to international arbitration, disputing the terms it was granted under Chavez's nationalization last year of four heavy oil projects in the Orinoco River basin, one of the world's richest oil deposits.
Late last night, PDVSA said it had moved its export payment accounts to UBS bank in Switzerland after ExxonMobil secured the embargo.
A central bank director in Curacao said Exxon lawyers had told banks that one of the court rulings meant they had to at least maintain the current level of funds PDVSA holds in any account in the Netherlands Antilles island.
"It all has to go to UBS in Switzerland now," said one trader who asked not to be identified.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver