Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his Cabinet will not visit a shrine that is criticized for glorifying Japan's militaristic past on next week's anniversary of the country's World War II surrender, a report said yesterday.
Every year, dozens of lawmakers pray at Yasukuni shrine during its spring and fall festivals and on the Aug. 15 anniversary of the war's end.
But Kyodo News agency said none was planning to go this Aug. 15. Abe, under pressure from a powerful lobby supporting the Shinto shrine, has refused to publicly state his intentions.
Yasukuni honors Japan's 2.5 million war dead, including executed wartime leaders convicted as Class-A war criminals, and is vilified by critics at home and abroad as a symbol of the country's militaristic past.
Financial Services Minister Yuji Yamamoto told reporters yesterday that an official visit to the shrine would be "harmful" to Japan's relations with Asia. Education Minister Bunmei Ibuki said he will not go to be fair as a minister supervising religious establishments, and Transport Minister Tetsuzo Fuyushiba, a Buddhist, cited religious reasons.
Japan's top government spokesman said he will not visit, either.
"I'm not planning to go," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yasuhisa Shiozaki told reporters. "That's my principle."
Yasukuni was run by the navy before and during the war and was used to encourage war spirit.
The decision to stay away apparently reflects consideration of Japan's fragile ties with its Asian neighbors.
Repeated visits to Yasukuni by former prime minister Junichiro Koizumi, including his last on Aug. 15 last year, angered China and South Korea, triggering refusals to hold summits with him.
The two countries have since pressed Abe to refrain from visiting the shrine to demonstrate Japan's remorse for its wartime invasions.
Abe, an ardent nationalist, regularly prayed at Yasukuni in the past -- but apparently not since taking office last September. Instead, he has sent offerings to the shrine, triggering concerns from Beijing and Seoul.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver