Terror suspect Mohamed Haneef told Australian police he knew nothing about the plot to launch attacks in London and Scotland, and freely admitted he knew two suspects being detained in Britain, leaked interview documents have shown.
Australian Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty said the leaking of the interview, which was published in yesterday's Australian newspaper, could jeopardize Haneef's trial and was being investigated as possible contempt of court.
The publication came amid intense debate about whether Haneef, an Indian doctor who came to Australia from Britain last year, is being treated fairly by police and the Australian government.
Haneef, 27, was arrested as he tried to leave Australia for India with a one-way ticket on July 2, two days after two men drove a flaming Jeep loaded with gas canisters into the international airport in Glasgow, Scotland.
Unexploded car bombs had been found in London the day before.
Haneef was charged on Saturday with giving support to a terrorist organization for leaving his mobile phone SIM card with two distant cousins, one of whom was in the Glasgow Jeep. The SIM card was also found in the burned-out vehicle, police say.
A magistrate this week granted Haneef conditional bail, saying the prosecution's evidence was not strong enough to keep him in jail. Within hours, the federal government revoked Haneef's visa and said he would be taken into immigration custody if he made bail.
Haneef's lawyers were due to lodge an appeal of the visa decision yesterday.
The Australian posted on the Internet what appeared to be the official transcript of a July 3 police interview with Haneef. Condemning the leak on national radio, Keelty did not challenge the authenticity of the document.
In the interview, Haneef was asked what he knew of the attempted London bombing and said he didn't know anything about it.
Pressed further, he replied: "I gather about Glasgow thing and there was some plot in London. But I don't know, I have not any relation with that at all.''
Separately, he told his interviewers he gave Sabeel Ahmed his mobile phone last year before he left for Australia because it had some unused credit. He also said he borrowed up to ?300 (US$615) from Kafeel Ahmed in 2004 to pay for a medical exam.
Kafeel Ahmed is believed to have set himself ablaze after crashing into the Glasgow airport and remains in a Scottish hospital with critical burns. Sabeel, his brother, has been charged with withholding information that could prevent an act of terrorism.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term