Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero went before disgruntled Spaniards in an unprecedented town hall meeting on Tuesday and defended his record on everything from Basque separatism to widows' pensions and college graduates struggling to emancipate themselves on scant wages.
Zapatero stood before an audience of 100 people selected by a polling firm as representing an accurate cross-section of Spanish society. Zapatero's party faces local and regional elections in May and a general election in a year's time.
The prime minister braved questions from Spaniards who said they were outraged over the government's perceived leniency toward the Basque separatist group ETA, puzzled over why Spain's long economic bonanza does not show up in their wallets and concerned that his party seems forever at loggerheads with opposition conservatives.
On ETA, Zapatero said that after 40 years of violence by the armed separatist group it was his government's responsibility to try to end the carnage -- a peace process the government announced last year after ETA called a truce and seemed promising but ended in an ETA bombing in December that killed two people. He said ETA is Spain's only serious problem.
"It was my obligation to try to do away with this scourge," Zapatero said.
On the economy, one questioner said Spain's participation in the euro currency may have been praised as historic but meant nothing to Spaniards struggling to make ends meet on a blue-collar salary.
Zapatero said he was bullish on Spain growing even more economically.
"I have a very optimistic vision of Spain," he said.
Several young people asked the prime minister what the government planned to do to help youths who graduate from college and end up with work providing little job stability and salaries of 1,000 euros a month when an apartment in Madrid, for instance, can go for 500,000 euros (US$650,000).
The government is spending a lot on subsidized housing and trying to stimulate Spain's very dormant rental market, Zapatero said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term