The US State Department has completed a preliminary report on whether Israel misused US-made cluster bombs in civilian areas of Lebanon.
State Department spokesman Kurtis Cooper said on Saturday the report will have been forwarded to Congress today, but declined to disclose the findings, emphasizing that they are preliminary.
"We take our obligations under the Arms Control Act seriously," said Cooper. "Our forwarding to Congress of a preliminary assessment is an indication of that. The Israeli government is also taking quite seriously their responsibility in providing information," Cooper said. "We are not making a final judgment."
The State Department is required to notify Congress of even preliminary findings of possible violations of the act cited by Cooper.
The New York Times reported on its Internet site on Saturday evening that the report will say Israel may have violated agreements with the US by its use of US-supplied cluster munitions during last year's war.
The paper described disagreement among midlevel officials at the Defense Department and the State Department, with some in both departments arguing that Israel violated US prohibitions on using cluster munitions against population areas.
Others in both departments argued that the weapons were used in self-defense to stop Hezbollah rocket attacks and that, at worst, only a technical violation may have occurred.
A congressional investigation found Israel improperly used US-made cluster bombs during its 1982 invasion of Lebanon. Former US president Ronald Reagan's administration then imposed a six-year ban on further sales of the weapons to Israel.
Such sanctions are largely symbolic since Israel also makes its own cluster munitions.
Relief organizations and the UN mine office have reported finding evidence that Israel used three types of US-made cluster bombs during the 34-day war with Hezbollah militants, during which both sides fired rockets into populated areas.
The UN mine office has said it had found hundreds of bomblets of the types made by the US among unexploded ordnance recovered in nearly 250 locations in southern Lebanon.
The Israeli army has said all weapons it uses "are legal under international law and their use conforms with international standards."
Israel said it was forced to hit civilian targets in Lebanon because Hezbollah fighters were using villages as bases for rocket launchers aimed at Israel. At least 850 Lebanese and 157 Israelis died in the fighting.
The Bush administration warned Israel to avoid civilian casualties, but refrained from direct criticism of Israeli tactics.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
SUSPICION: Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing returned to protests after attending a summit at which he promised to hold ‘free and fair’ elections, which critics derided as a sham The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen to more than 3,300, state media said yesterday, as the UN aid chief made a renewed call for the world to help the disaster-struck nation. The quake on Friday last week flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure across the country, resulting in 3,354 deaths and 4,508 people injured, with 220 others missing, new figures published by state media showed. More than one week after the disaster, many people in the country are still without shelter, either forced to sleep outdoors because their homes were destroyed or wary of further collapses. A UN estimate
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term