NATO warplanes accidentally killed a Canadian soldier and wounded several others in a "friendly fire" incident in southern Afghanistan yesterday, NATO said.
The incident occurred during a NATO-led anti-Taliban operation in Kandahar province's Panjwayi district after ground troops requested air support, NATO said.
"Two ISAF [NATO's International Security Assistance Force] aircraft provided the support but regrettably engaged friendly forces during a strafing run, using cannons," it said in a statement.
It said there were "multiple casualties."
NATO spokesman Major Quentin Innis said the soldier killed in the incident and those wounded were all Canadian NATO troops. He gave no further details.
Another alliance spokesman, Major Scott Lundy, said five seriously wounded soldiers were evacuated out of Afghanistan for medical treatment. He did not say where.
A total of 32 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have been killed in Afghanistan since 2002.
"I wish to send my deepest sympathies to all of the soldiers and their loved ones who've been affected by this very sad accident," said NATO commander Lieutenant General David Richards. "It is particularly distressing to us all when, despite the care and precautions that are always applied, a tragedy like this happens."
An investigation into the incident has been launched.
The raid occurred during a NATO-led campaign called "Operation Medusa," which NATO said has killed more than 200 Taliban fighters and five Canadian soldiers since the mission started on Saturday.
Panjwayi has long been a hotbed of Taliban resistance against US-led forces and against NATO forces since they took military control of southern Afghanistan last month.
suicide bombing
Meanwhile, a car bomb targeting a British military convoy killed four Afghan civilians and one British soldier in Kabul yesterday, NATO and Afghan officials said. Ten people were wounded.
The explosion happened on the Kabul-Jalalabad road at 10:15am, NATO officials said.
Afghan officials said it was a suicide bombing and the attacker also died.
But NATO spokesman Major Toby Jackman said it was unclear if the attack was a suicide bombing or caused by a bomb that was being transported in a car exploding prematurely.
The British Ministry of defense said a four-wheel drive vehicle was driven at the British convoy. It said one soldier had died and another was seriously wounded and evacuated to a military medical facility for treatment.
Major Luke Knittig, another NATO spokesman, said the soldier who died was initially reported wounded, but later succumbed to his injuries.
He said in all, three NATO troops were wounded. Two sustained light injuries.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but