British police investigating an alleged plot to blow up US-bound airliners are optimistic they will be able to soon charge many of the 23 suspects in custody here, reports said yesterday.
The newspaper reports come after the BBC said that detectives have recovered "martyrdom videos" as well as a suitcase containing components needed to make a bomb.
Senior police and government officials told the Sunday Times that more than half of the 23 suspects held over the alleged plot to blow up the trans-Atlantic airliners are expected to be charged with terrorist offenses.
Most of the 23 can be held until Wednesday before police have to ask a judge to further extend their detention, police say. Under Brit-ain's anti-terror laws, police can hold them up to 28 days before charging or releasing them.
Two people arrested by the police have already been released.
The Sunday Times said that police are building a strong case after having uncovered bomb-making equipment, chemicals, a large sum of cash, at least one gun and "significant" documents.
The BBC, quoting unofficial police sources, reported that detectives found on laptops at least half a dozen "martyrdom videos" apparently recorded by some of the suspects as they prepared for suicide attacks.
London's Metropolitan Police declined to comment on veracity the report.
A police spokeswoman told reporters late on Saturday that investigators are still searching 12 locations. Since announcing Aug. 10 that they had foiled the plot, they have obtained more than 50 search warrants.
Senior sources quoted by the Sunday Times claim that the first batch of suspects will be charged with terrorism offenses within the next 10 days and more than half of those being held are expected to be charged.
The police "are very buoyant, very confident that the majority of these people will face terrorism charges," one official told the paper.
The police did not expect a repeat of events in June when a raid in London's northeastern Forest Gate neighborhood failed to uncover evidence in support of intelligence of a chemical bomb plot.
Security sources quoted by the Sunday Telegraph said that the police are "hugely optimistic" that they will be able to bring charges against many of the suspects in the very near future.
Britain's domestic intelligence agency MI5 is convinced that the airline plot and many others are being coordinated by al-Qaeda operatives, according to the Telegraph, quoting an unidentified government official.
Meanwhile, the watchdog Charity Commission said that it is in the process of evaluating reports potentially linking some suspects to Crescent Relief London, a British aid group that raised money for earthquake relief in Pakistan last year.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver