More aid workers in Darfur, the troubled Sudanese region, have been killed in the past month than in the previous three years of conflict there, the UN said on Tuesday.
Eight aid workers, all of them Sudanese, were killed in July in attacks across Darfur, the UN said, compared with only six from 2003, when the conflict began, through June.
"The level of violence being faced by humanitarian workers in Darfur is unprecedented," Manuel Aranda da Silva, the top UN aid official in Sudan, said in a statement.
The violence has already contracted the scope of aid operations, depriving tens of thousands of people of food handouts, medical care and clean water. Beyond that, the deepening chaos imperils the effort to help millions of other displaced people in the region, officials of aid groups that work in the region say.
A UN map of no-go areas is covered with blotches of orange, indicating vast regions where aid workers cannot reach people trapped in camps and villages. About 14,000 workers are in Darfur, 1,000 of them foreigners.
The spike in violence has occurred as the peace agreement signed in May has faltered. The pact was supposed to end the fighting in a conflict between non-Arab rebel groups and the Arab-dominated central government, from which the rebel groups sought greater autonomy and more of Sudan's wealth for the long-neglected Darfur region.
But the landscape has grown more perilous since the pact was signed in Nigeria. On Monday, the rebel leader who signed it, Minni Arcu Minnawi, became the senior assistant to the president, as stipulated by the agreement, but amid allegations that his troops were carrying out bloody raids in North Darfur to try to punish other rebel groups that had not signed the agreement.
Minnawi met with US President George W. Bush at the White House on July 25, in the wake of a UN report released earlier in the month that said Minnawi's troops were "indiscriminately killing, raping women and abducting."
Elements of the two groups that did not sign, the Justice and Equality Movement and a faction of the Sudan Liberation Army, have joined forces to form the National Redemption Front, which is firmly opposed to the agreement. The group said on Monday that it had shot down a government Antonov bomber, a statement the Sudanese military quickly denied. The latest fighting in North Darfur has routed 25,000 people from their homes.
The crowded camps in Darfur and eastern Chad, where 2.5 million people pushed from their homes in recent years by the conflict live, have become anxious and turbulent, making aid work in them especially dangerous.
"Since the signing of the agreement, Darfur has become increasingly tense and violent," Paul Smith-Lomas, regional director of Oxfam, an aid group with a large presence in Darfur, said in a press statement.
The declining security situation, he added, "has led to the deaths of too many civilians and aid workers."
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but