Relatives of the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks testified on Thursday in defense of Zacarias Moussaoui, in the death penalty trial of the confessed al-Qaeda conspirator.
Defense lawyers trying to spare his life also read a statement discrediting Moussaoui's own testimony that he was to fly a fifth plane into the White House on Sept. 11, 2001, along with attempted shoe bomber Richard Reid.
Defense attorneys then rested their case, meaning the 12-person jury could receive the case by Monday. The jury must decide whether Moussaoui -- the only man who has faced charged in the US for a role in the Sept. 11 attacks -- should be executed or receive life in prison without possibility of parole.
Family members earlier in the day told the jury that they were coping with the losses of their loved ones, and that life had moved on.
Alice Hoagland, whose son Mark Bingham died on Flight 93, which crashed in Pennsylvania after a passenger revolt, said that Bingham "embraced love and inclusiveness."
While family members were forbidden from commenting in court on whether Moussaoui should receive the death penalty, Hoagland said later, outside the courthouse, that she did not want Moussaoui to die.
"Taking another human life will not help us in this situation," she said.
The family members of victims have in the past been divided over whether Moussaoui should be put to death, with some arguing that his execution would give him the satisfaction of being martyred.
Moussaoui, 37, a French citizen of Moroccan descent, pleaded guilty in April last year to six charges of conspiracy and earlier this month was found eligible for the death penalty by the same jury that must now decide his actual sentence.
Prosecutors say he could have prevented the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington if he had revealed what he knew of the plot upon his arrest in August 2001.
Moussaoui's court-appointed lawyers had earlier in the week sought to paint their client as delusional and possibly schizophrenic, while a clinical social worker said he grew up in a violent, broken home.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver