Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is refusing to concede defeat to his opponent Romano Prodi in elections early this month even as a top court confirmed the center-left coalition's majority in parliament's lower house.
Prodi, meanwhile, was working to form his Cabinet, holding daily talks with allies.
La Repubblica newspaper reported on Thursday that he plans to give the Economics Ministry -- a key post amid Italy's economic woes -- to Tommaso Padoa Schioppa, a former board member of the European Central Bank and a highly respected economist.
Prodi had lunch with Padoa Schioppa on Thursday in downtown Rome. He later told the ANSA news agency that "there are still no names for the government."
While the final breakdown of seats for the Senate was still to be announced, Prodi's two-seat majority in the upper house was widely expected to be confirmed.
The former premier and EU chief has said there are no more doubts about his victory, and on Thursday he described the center-right's refusal to concede as sad.
"Sooner or later they will recognize how things are," Prodi said. "It is very sad that there should be something like this in a mature democracy."
still combative
Berlusconi has not made any public comments since the court's announcement on Wednesday that Prodi had won the lower house by 24,755 votes -- a margin virtually unchanged from the one previously announced. The court made the announcement after a review of contested ballots.
But Italian newspapers said on Thursday that the prime minister remained as combative as ever.
"We'll fight. They'll have to deal with us," he was quoted as saying in La Repubblica, a left-leaning daily. Other newspapers had similar comments, and many reported the conservative leader has no intention of calling Prodi.
Several world leaders, including from Britain, France, Germany and Israel, have called Prodi to congratulate him. However, two close Berlusconi allies, US President George W. Bush and Russian President Vladimir Putin, have not called Prodi yet, his office said on Thursday.
Berlusconi has remained defiant since the results of the April 9-10 election -- one of the closest in Italian history -- showed he had lost control of parliament.
For days, he has alleged irregularities and at one point he even spoke of fraud, only to quickly retract. He has said that the razor-thin margin of Prodi's victory required thorough checks and contended the vote of Italians abroad was marred by irregularities.
Berlusconi even raised the possibility of a "grand coalition" government, but the proposal was quickly dismissed by Prodi and other center-left leaders.
After the court's announcement on Wednesday, the prime minister left it up to his allies to announce further action and demand a more thorough review.
shaky support
Under Italian law, after the review of contested ballots, any further challenges or complaints would be dealt with by the electoral committees set up by the new parliament after it convenes. Such checks can take months and are not expected to stall the political process.
At least some of the prime minister's allies strayed from his position. The leader of a small centrist party in the conservative coalition, Lorenzo Cesa, offered his best wishes to Prodi, while a Cabinet minister, Stefania Prestigiacomo, urged her fellow conservatives to recognize the center-left's victory.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver