Civil crisis in France deepened on Saturday night as political efforts to quell widespread unrest collapsed and the country braced for a national strike tomorrow.
Violence and looting in central Paris last week led the UK's Foreign Office to advise Britons against visiting parts of the city this weekend. The mood worsened on Saturday when students boycotted meetings between Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and opponents of a new employment law.
Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy heightened political pressure and distanced himself from de Villepin when he urged the government to find a compromise to end the turmoil. In a speech to his UMP party, Sarkozy, candidate for next year's presidential elections, sympathized with young demonstrators.
"Twenty years of mass unemployment, 15 years of mediocre economic growth, 10 years of sluggish purchasing power, seven political changes since 1981 -- how can we blame the young for saying out loud what their parents think?" he said.
In Saturday's setback to talks over the contrat de premiere embauche (CPE, or first job contract), Julie Coudry, leader of the Confederation Etudiante, said de Villepin had written a letter asking for talks on implementing the CPE when "the government knows we want the legislation to be dropped ... This letter is a joke, a provocation, which if anything feeds the social tensions in our country."
Two right-leaning students' unions said they remained keen to meet de Villepin. The five main labor unions met de Villepin on Friday and did not rule out further talks.
The focus for now is to minimize violence at tomorrow's demonstrations, which could draw hundreds of thousands of people all over France. Disruption will be widespread, including reduced train, metro and bus services. Schools, banks, post offices and state-run media will be closed. Air France and air traffic controllers are expected to strike.
Up to 90 people, including 27 police and paramilitary gendarmes, were injured in last Thursday's protests in Paris, Rennes and Marseille.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver