Communist rebels ambushed an army patrol in central Nepal yesterday, sparking a clash that killed at least eight soldiers and one insurgent, officials said.
The latest violence in the country's decade-old insurgency came one day after the rebels ended a highway blockade that had crippled life across the country for six days.
Buses yesterday were transporting thousands of stranded travelers and trucks brought in much-needed fuel, food and supplies into Nepal's capital, Kathmandu, after the roads were cleared.
The attack in central Nepal took place near an army camp at Bhakundebeshi, about 80km east of Katmandu. The soldiers were out on a patrol to investigate suspicions that rebels had blocked the camp's water supply when they were attacked, security officials said.
The officials, who would not be identified because they are not authorized to speak to reporters, said rebels hiding on the side of a road detonated an explosion and then began firing on the army team, killing at least eight soldiers.
One rebel was confirmed killed in the ensuing gunbattle, the officials said.
Reinforcement were sent to the area and soldiers combed the mountain terrain to search for the attackers.
At the Nagdhunga checkpoint onto the Prithvi highway, the main route out of Kathmandu, hundreds of vehicles passed through, taking passengers who had been stranded since the blockade began on March 14.
Nepal has no railroads, and trucks haul virtually all fuel, food and other supplies. Trucks bringing in milk, flour, vegetables and fruits began to enter the capital yesterday morning, according to police officials at the checkpoint.
The rebels had cut off major cities and towns as part of their campaign to topple Nepal's royalist government, but agreed on Sunday to heed pleas by the country's main political parties to end the blockade.
At a meeting on Sunday, the rebels and the country's alliance of seven major political parties agreed to step up pressure on King Gyanendra, who dissolved the government and seized total control of the country in February last year.
The rebels also called off plans for an indefinite general strike starting April 3 and said they would instead support a separate April 6-9 general strike.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver