The Security Council is inching toward agreeing on a revised Franco-British draft urging Iran to suspend uranium enrichment, diplomats said on Friday as China suggested that Tehran be given up to six weeks to do so.
The 15-member council met for over one hour on Friday to review the revised text, which incorporated comments made by members after a series of informal sessions earlier this week. Members agreed to meet again on Tuesday after getting reactions from their capitals.
"The response we got from our colleagues today suggests that we are pretty close to where they wanted us to be," British UN envoy Emyr Jones Parry said.
PHOTO: AP
"Our wish remains that the council should act expeditiously on this text and send the clearest possible signal [to Tehran] ... to reinforce the activities of the [International Atomic Energy Agency] Agency," he added.
French Ambassador Jean-Marc de La Sabliere also said he was "encouraged by the reaction" to the revised text, which he noted was "getting a lot of support."
"We are not very far now from the end of the discussion," the French envoy said, adding the co-sponsors were awaiting reactions from other members' capitals to the text. "I hope the reactions will be positive."
Elements of the revised draft released on Friday said the UN nuclear watchdog would report "to the Security Council as well as to the IAEA board of governors, in [14] days on Iranian compliance with the requirements set out by the IAEA board".
These include suspending immediately all uranium enrichment activities and resuming implementation of the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty's Additional Protocol that allows for wider inspections of a country's nuclear facilities.
But speaking before the meeting, Chinese ambassador Wang Guangya (
"We must leave sufficient time for diplomacy and for the IAEA [International Atomic Energy Agency] to work ... at least four weeks to six weeks," he noted.
The US ambassador to the UN, John Bolton, responded: "I don't think there's really been much support to go beyond a month," adding, however, that there was some flexibility on the US side on this point.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, in an interview with the Financial Times on Friday, also dismissed the 14-day period as "not very feasible".
Lavrov said he saw "a parallel" between the current Iranian crisis and the run-up to the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 when the Security Council intervened before UN inspectors had done their job.
"We would not like to see the situation where the value of the professional agencies would be underestimated ... at the expense of us getting to the bottom of the facts," Lavrov said.
Russia's UN envoy Andrei Denisov welcomed the Franco-British draft's reference to the need for IAEA head Mohamed ElBaradei to send his report on Iranian compliance to both the Security Council and the IAEA board of governors.
But he also rejected a quick progress report on Iran's nuclear program, saying -- half in jest -- that fast action could lead to the bombing of Iran by June.
"Let's just imagine that we adopt it and today we issued that statement -- then what happens after two weeks?" Denisov said. "In such a pace we'll start bombing in June."
Denisov chuckled after he made the remark, but it reflected Russia's fears that the international community has not yet decided how to respond if Iran continues to resist demands that it make explicitly clear it is not seeking nuclear arms.
Meanwhile Wang said a meeting of senior foreign ministry officials of the Security Council's five permanent members and Germany in New York tomorrow aimed to "consider the next step of activities by the IAEA".
US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, Nicholas Burns, and his counterparts from China, France, Russia and Britain, which are permanent members of the Security Council and have veto-wielding power, plus Germany, will attend the meeting, a State Department official said on Thursday.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver