A New Zealand team was set to sail to an erupting South Pacific volcano today to assess the island's condition and prospects for recovering a missing government worker, feared killed in a hail of rock and ash.
It wasn't clear why officials chose to make the three-day sea trip over a much faster helicopter flight, but a helicopter pilot who flew an earlier mission to the island said volcanic ash clouds could make such flights hazardous.
Friday's eruption in one of Raoul Island's three main craters threw rocks and boulders into the air, and buried the nearby area in mud and ash.
Conservation Minister Chris Carter said the missing staffer, whom police identified as Mark Kearney, 32, was almost certainly dead on the remote island in the Kermadec group, 1,000km north of New Zealand.
"He was at the exact epicenter of the massive destruction, including where 5m of ash fell," he said after speaking to a Conservation Department worker who had witnessed the devastation.
An assessment team of police, conservation officials and a vulcanologist was expected to set sail for the island today, said the department's area manager, Rolien Elliot.
New Zealand's main geological group, GNS Science, said seismic activity on the island now consisted of clusters of small earthquakes with "no further obvious volcanic activity."
Elliott said in a statement that the recovery team would only land on the island if they decide it is safe based on visual checks and updates on seismic activity.
Kearney had been part of a small team monitoring the area's weather and plant life from a permanent base on the island. They were inspecting the crater lake when the volcano erupted.
Five surviving Conservation Department staff evacuated on Friday were in good condition but exhausted after their ordeal.
"Understandably, they are upset by having to leave their missing work mate on the island," Elliott said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver