Spain launched a somber remembrance of the Madrid terror bombings on yesterday's second anniversary of the attacks, as a delegation from Morocco -- home to many of the suspects in the case -- observed a few minutes of silence at a rail station targeted in the massacre.
The 70-member delegation, called the Moroccan Caravan for Peace and Solidarity, set out from Morocco in buses on March 5, stopping in several Spanish cities before arriving at Atocha train station.
Members held a red Moroccan flag next to the red-and-yellow one of Spain as they stood in silence inside the station, one of four sites where 10 backpack bombs exploded exactly two years ago, killing 191 people and wounding more than 1,500.
PHOTO: AP
"We want to express our solidarity and support for the Spanish people and show that the Moroccan people are one of peace and against terrorism," said Mohamed Boujida, a delegation member.
He noted that Morocco itself was hit by Islamic terrorists in May 2003 with suicide attacks that killed 45 people, including the bombers.
The delegation deposited a wreath of red and white roses and carnations inside the station and wrote messages of condolence on a large-screen computer terminal set up at a memorial site inside the building.
The ceremony was the first of several scheduled for a day in which the normally festive atmosphere of a weekend in Spain will be replaced by heartbreaking memories of the morning of March 11, 2004.
The bombs, loaded with dynamite and shrapnel, turned crowded commuter trains into a maelstrom of bodies and body parts, twisted metal and wailing sirens.
Spain's version of Sept. 11 is etched so indelibly in Spaniards' memories that virtually everyone remembers where they were when they learned of the bombings, the frantic rescue efforts, the anguished search for missing loved ones.
"That day we all got a lesson in what is really important in life," said Bartolome Gonzalez, mayor of Alcala de Henares, a town through which all four of the doomed trains passed and home to 27 of those killed in the attacks.
Ceremonies were planned at other stations also hit by suspected Islamic terrorists who claimed to have acted on al-Qaeda's behalf.
Christians, Muslims and Jews were to join together for an ecumenical prayer service outside Atocha station, praying in unison for peace.
Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero was due to attend a noontime wreath-laying ceremony, to be followed by five minutes of silence at the Forest of Remembrance -- a grove of 192 olive and cypress trees set up at a Madrid park in memory of the bombing victims.
The site originally had been called the Forest of the Absent, but an association of March 11 victims asked town hall to change the name, saying that their missing loved ones would never be absent even if they were dead.
As it did last year, that group -- the Association of Victims of March 11 -- was expected to mourn in silence. It was sending no official representative to the ceremony.
No one has been tried or even formally charged over the attack, but the judge leading the investigation said this week he expected to hand down the first indictments by April 10.
Unlike the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the US, which united Americans across political lines, the Madrid bombings proved to be acutely divisive.
In elections held three days after the bombings, voters elected the opposition Socialists and unseated a pro-US government that had sent 1,300 peacekeepers to Iraq.
Many Spaniards blamed that administration for the attack, saying it had made their country a target for terrorists.
The Socialists quickly brought the troops home.
The conservatives in turn charged that the Socialist election victory was a fluke born of the tragedy, not a legitimate win.
The Association of March 11 Victims has criticized both sides, saying they worried only about themselves and political gain and did not care about the victims of the attacks.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver