The director of a Moscow market where the snow-laden roof collapsed, fatally crushing workers, has been detained, the chief city prosecutor said on Friday. Meanwhile, Moscow's mayor said the death toll had reached 61.
The prosecutor, Anatoly Zuyev said the suspect, Mark Mishiyev, had been charged with negligence leading to deaths. He also said prosecutors had ordered an analysis by explosives experts, and that a comprehensive construction analysis would follow.
Luzhkov was quoted by the ITAR-Tass news agency as saying more bodies may yet be found under the massive debris of the Basmanny market in east-central Moscow. There were sharply contrasting reports on how many people were injured in the collapse and how many of the injured were in life-threatening condition.
Luzhkov said 60 victims remained in hospitals, three of them in severe condition, according to ITAR-Tass. Yevgeny Yevdokin, the city's chief anesthesiologist, said earlier in the day that 21 people were hospitalized all of them in intensive care. A duty officer at the Emergency Situations Ministry said late on Friday that 24 victims were in hospital.
Hundreds of workers were laboring around the clock to clear the enormous mound of concrete and steel at the market, using power shovels and other heavy equipment in an indication that they held essentially no hope of anyone being alive underneath.
Earlier on Friday, Luzhkov said "Maybe there is some kind of zone where there may be people, but the probability of this is very small."
Virtually all the victims were workers from the former Soviet republics, among the thousands who have poured into the Russian capital to fill low-paying jobs such as those at the city's produce and housewares markets.
At least 22 of the victims were from Azerbaijan, said Shamil Kasayev, an Azerbaijani Embassy official at the morgue near the market. ITAR-Tass quoted an unnamed leader of the Azerbaijani Diaspora in Moscow as saying that the number was closer to 40.
Kasayev said the government would cover all the costs of transporting the bodies.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver