China has denounced US criticisms of its human rights record, accusing the US of double standards and suggesting Washington reflect on its own problems, official websites said yesterday.
Foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang (秦剛) said the Chinese government has expressed its "strong opposition" to the US criticisms.
"As the year is drawing to an end, we suggest the US side should take a clear consideration of the situation and make self-reflection on its own human rights problems," Qin said.
"The US government is well advised to give up its double standard on human rights and readjust the mistaken practices of interfering in the internal affairs of other countries on the pretext of human rights issues," he said.
The US State Department issued a statement on Saturday listing China as one of the countries where it said the struggle for human rights continues.
"From Cuba to China, Belarus to Burma, Uzbekistan to Zimbabwe, and Iran to North Korea, courageous human rights activists remain harassed and imprisoned," State Department deputy spokesman Adam Ereli said in a statement.
Human rights remains one of the strongest differences between Beijing and Washington despite improved relations over the past few years.
Qin said the US has "severe problems of violating human rights."
It highlighted a decision by a team of UN human rights experts in November to cancel a visit to the US detention facility at Guantanamo Bay because Washington did not allow them free access to detainees there.
Qin also cited UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Louise Arbour's statement last week that the reported US practice of secretly detaining terrorist suspects was eroding the global ban on torture.
Arbour implied the US may be violating the global ban through cruel, degrading and other inhumane treatment of prisoners for the purpose of obtaining intelligence, and raised concerns about turning over prisoners to countries where they may face torture.
Defending China's record, Qin said Beijing has scored "remarkable achievements."
China has frequently stated that it considers raising the living standards of its vast population to be a higher human rights priority than providing individual freedoms.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver