Israel has threatened to restrict trade across its frontier with Gaza if the Palestinians fail to immediately address its security concerns at the newly reopened border crossing between Gaza and Egypt.
Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said yesterday that Israel wouldn't strangle the already impoverished Gaza economically, but that "the Palestinians need to take action."
The threat to further batter Gaza's already shattered economy was made on Friday at a meeting between Israeli officials and international mediators. The Associated Press obtained notes of the session.
The US, at a separate meeting, said the security problems were caused by technical glitches at the Rafah passage between Gaza and Egypt, and not by Palestinian failures.
In a deal wrested last month under pressure from US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Israel agreed to the reopening of the Rafah crossing, which it closed before quitting Gaza in September.
The agreement also called for a bus link between the non-contiguous Gaza and the West Bank, and for increased cargo traffic by the end of the year at the Karni terminal on the Gaza-Israel frontier, which is Gaza's main export outlet.
Israel said on Friday it was freezing implementation of the entire agreement until its problems with the Rafah terminal, which reopened Nov. 26 under the supervision of European monitors, were resolved.
Israel has accused the Palestinians of violating the deal by not providing instant information on people crossing the border from Egypt into Gaza. As a result, up to 15 militants wanted by Israel, including the brother of Hamas leader Mahmoud Zahar, were allowed in, Israeli and Palestinian officials said.
"This crossing is wide open to terrorists and weapons, and jeopardizes Israel's security," Mofaz told Israel Radio.
He said he asked US Assistant Secretary of State David Welch in their meeting on Friday "to do everything in his power in his meetings with the Palestinians so the issue can be settled next week."
Welch was scheduled to meet with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas yesterday.
US officials told international mediators in a separate meeting on Friday that the Palestinians were complying with the Rafah agreement and that any delay in relaying information was the result of technological problems that US experts were trying to resolve, according to notes of that meeting.
The chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat condemned the Israeli threat, saying the Palestinians were working to address all issues at Rafah as quickly as possible with the help of the European monitors.
"The Rafah terminal has been functioning for two weeks only, and anybody with a sane mind should not expect the border between Germany and France," he said, adding that the Europeans and not Israel should be the judges of Palestinian compliance with the agreement.
In other news yesterday, Abbas urged militant factions to extend their informal truce with Israel, known as "the calm," which is to expire at the end of the year.
The ceasefire, brokered in February, sharply reduced violence between Israel and the Palestinians.
"We should move ahead with this calm until security and stability have been reached in the homeland, until our people feel no fear from the threat of tanks and aircraft," Abbas said at a ceremony in Gaza City, where Palestinians laid the ground for a US-funded courts complex.
On Friday, Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal said the militant group would not renew its truce with Israel because the Israelis had violated it.
The Palestinian Authority said Mashaal's statement appeared to be an attempt to sabotage Palestinian parliamentary elections scheduled for Jan. 25, in which Hamas is challenging Abbas' Fatah Party.
In other news, an Israeli naval boat patrolling the Gaza coast shot and killed one Palestinian in the waters near the Egyptian border, Palestinian officials said yesterday.
The army said two men were swimming over from Egypt with bags of weapons. When they refused to halt, the Israelis fired, killing one of the men.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver