Police yesterday blamed al-Qaeda for twin suicide bombings against NATO peacekeepers in the capital, as the death toll rose to eight with more bodies found in a ditch, and security forces searched houses for more suspected attackers.
Police commander General Mohammed Akbar said the bodies of the two suicide attackers appeared to those of Arabs.
"Al-Qaeda is definitely behind this attack," Akbar said. "Only al-Qaeda has the capability to do this."
Hours after the attacks late on Monday, a purported Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility.
If al-Qaeda is confirmed to also have a hand in it, it would reinforce fears that the terror network is still working with the Taliban, which US-led forces ousted from power in 2001 for harboring Osama bin Laden.
Such seemingly coordinated assaults are unprecedented in Afghanistan and were the first major attack on foreign troops in Kabul in a year.
They came during the deadliest year of rebel violence since the ouster of the Taliban, and have reinforced fears that insurgents are copying tactics used in Iraq.
Akbar said police scouring the scene of the second suicide car bombing found six more burned bodies lying in a ditch.
Major Andrew Elmes, a spokesman for NATO's peacekeeping force, said the bodies were believed to be those of Afghans.
An Afghan child was also killed in the second bombing. In the initial blast, a German peacekeeper died.
The new deaths brought the death toll to eight, in addition to the deaths of the two attackers.
Peacekeepers fatally shot three other men as they raced in a car toward the scene, fearing it was another suicide attack.
Kabul, which is home to about 3,000 foreigners and patrolled by thousands of NATO peacekeepers, had been regarded as one of the country's safest places, despite a flurry of kidnappings over the past year.
UN spokesman Adrian Edwards said the world body had gone to a heightened state of alert in the city and only essential staff were allowed to come to work.
Fears of more attacks has also prompted NATO's peacekeeping force to go on a higher state of alert, Elmes said.
Road blocks have been set up around the city and police were searching houses for suspects.
"We're on alert but it's very hard to prevent suicide attacks with hundreds of vehicles on the roads," Akbar said.
The two bombings on Monday occurred within 90 minutes of each other on a 500m stretch of road near the headquarters of Afghan-UN election organizers.
At the first bombing, the body of the slain German soldier was lying on the ground under a crumpled armored Mercedes military vehicle. Bits of a Toyota Corolla sedan that the attacker used were strewn across the road.
The second suicide bombing set fire to a Greek military jeep and wounded three peacekeepers.
UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan expressed concern at the upsurge in violence in Afghanistan and strongly condemned Monday's bombings.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver