Despite strong internal opposition, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) later this week will officially restore the reputation of a liberal-leaning leader whose death helped inspire pro-democracy protests.
"In the middle of November, a commemoration to mark the 90th anniversary of Hu Yaobang (胡耀邦) will be held in Beijing," Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao (劉建超) told a briefing yesterday.
"The central leadership, the party, political and military and other leaders from the grassroots will be present at the meeting, and the central leadership will deliver a speech," he said.
PHOTO: AP
The party has not publicly honored Hu Yaobang since his death in April 1989, which gave rise to student demonstrations in Tiananmen Square. Those protests, against corruption, inflation and political repression, persisted until the army violently suppressed them on June 4 of that year.
President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤) decided early this year to commemorate the 90th anniversary of Hu Yaobang's birth. Party observers said the president aimed to soften his hard-line image and strengthen the 72-million-member Communist Youth League, his political base within the CCP.
The youth league was also considered to be the support network of the late Hu, who lost his position as CCP general secretary after a power struggle in 1987.
While restoring the stature of Hu Yaobang is unlikely to lead to a broad political opening soon, it does give a glimpse of the complex politicking within the ruling elite.
It also shows the enduring sensitivity of the people and events connected with the 1989 protests.
Observers say the June 4 killings will haunt the party until it can acknowledge having bloodily suppressed the mainly peaceful pro-democracy protests and pays respect to the hundreds of people killed, injured or purged in the crackdown.
Hu Jintao persisted in his decision about Hu Yaobang's birthday even though four of the nine members of the Politburo's Standing Committee expressed concern that the move could threaten stability, said people who had been told about the debate.
The four, one of whom was Premier Wen Jiabao (溫家寶), were said to have different reasons for their opposition. But all were said to have argued that the move could risk giving people the idea that the circumstances surrounding the 1989 demonstrations, which the CCP has condemned as an anti-government plot, might be open for discussion.
Opposition to the commemoration was first reported earlier this month by Open, a political magazine based in Hong Kong, and was confirmed by people close to the late leader's family.
Hu Jintao is said to have overruled the objections and ordered the commemoration to proceed, arguing that while students may have invoked the late Hu's name when their protests began, the former leader had no responsibility for the demonstrations.
But possibly reflecting the sensitivity, President Hu has dropped plans to attend the memorial ceremony in person and rescheduled it to take place on Friday, when he will meet in South Korea with other Asian and Pacific leaders, instead of Sunday, the actual 90th anniversary of Hu Yaobang's birth.
The ceremony will amount to a posthumous rehabilitation for Hu, who is remembered as having favored a faster pace of political change than other officials considered prudent.
The fact that his death precipitated the Tiananmen Square protests left his legacy in limbo. The party did not publish the usual account of his life and achievements.
The commemoration will be held at the Great Hall of the People in Tiananmen Square and is to be attended by 300 people, including current and retired leaders and intellectuals, most of them invited by Hu's surviving relatives.
There will also be services in Hunan Province, where Hu was born, and Jiangxi Province, the historical base of the Communist Youth League.
People close to the family said at least three members of the Politburo Standing Committee would attend the Beijing event: Wu Guanzheng (
Wen was prevailed on to make an appearance despite having expressed concern that restoring Hu's stature could lead to calls to rehabilitate Zhao Ziyang (
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver