The Australian government reacted angrily yesterday to a report that Baghdad had suspended wheat imports worth hundreds of millions of dollars a year over oil-for-food kickbacks paid to former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein's regime.
Prime Minister John Howard said contracts could not be disregarded "willy-nilly," while Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Australians would be irritated by a boycott as they had contributed troops to the US-led invasion that ousted Saddam.
The Australian newspaper quoted Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Ahmed Chalabi as saying all future orders for Australian wheat had been suspended and Iraq was demanding compensation for kickbacks paid to Saddam's regime under the UN's oil-for-food program.
The Australian wheat orders are worth up to A$800 million (US$600 million) a year.
A spokesman for Trade Minister Mark Vaile said the government had received no formal notification of the suspension and had asked its ambassador in Baghdad to seek clarification.
Howard said that as far as the government was concerned, wheat trade with Iraq was proceeding as normal.
"AWB [Australian Wheat Board] does have a contract with the Iraqi government so there are obligations and those obligations just can't be torn up willy-nilly," he told reporters.
Downer said that because of Australia's active military role in removing Saddam from power, a boycott of the country's wheat would annoy many Australians.
"A lot of people certainly would make that argument," Downer said.
"Australia is one of the coalition of the willing, one of the three countries that moved decisively to rid Saddam Hussein's regime from Iraq so there's no doubt about the principled position Australia has taken against Saddam Hussein and his regime," he said. "Our wheat trade in Iraq has been progressing at a steady pace and we've heard nothing about it being disrupted."
Chalabi told the newspaper in a telephone interview from Washington that he expected the AWB to compensate the new Iraqi government for A$290 million in kickbacks paid to the former regime.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but