Iran is blocking imports from Britain and South Korea as an apparent punishment for their opposition to Iran's nuclear program, diplomatic and industry sources said yesterday.
Iran said last month it could use trade to punish countries that voted for an International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) resolution on referring Tehran to the UN Security Council for possible sanctions over its nuclear program.
"We have received a verbal order from the Commerce Ministry, about a trade ban imposed on South Korean and British companies," said an official at a state manufacturing company, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
He said the order was due to the two countries' "hostility" towards Iran, such as over its nuclear program which Tehran insists is purely for peaceful purposes.
Presidential chief of staff Gholamhossein Elham refused to confirm the bans, but the semi-official ISNA students news agency quoted him as saying: "Political relations and views definitely have an impact on economic relations."
"Iran's political, economic and cultural relations with other countries are connected to one another and these relations have an impact on each other," he said.
Diplomats said Iran typically does not publicly acknowledge such moves but there was enough evidence to confirm the order had been given.
"Basically it means that goods are being held up in customs, letters of credit for imports are not being granted and so on," said a British diplomat who declined to be named.
Britain, which aside from the nuclear issue is also engaged in a row with Tehran over bombing accusations, has been on the receiving end of such measures several times in the past three years.
"Whenever things get a bit tense, this happens," the British diplomat said.
Meanwhile, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad again linked Britain to the recent bombings in Ahvaz, ISNA news agency reported yesterday.
"No indications have yet been found rejecting our initial suspicions of British involvement [in Ahvaz], especially as terror and creating insecurity is one of the typical tactics by imperialistic countries like Britain," Ahmadinjead was quoted as saying by ISNA.
"We are, however, not in a position yet to make a final judgement, but our security and diplomatic channels are working on the case and will soon announce the final results of the investigations," he said.
Two handmade bombs killed six people and wounded more than 100 others last Saturday in Ahvaz, capital of the oil-rich Khuzestan province near the Iraqi border.
The intelligence service said Tuesday that more than 20 people were arrested in connection with the bombings but gave no further details on the alleged culprits.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
SUSPICION: Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing returned to protests after attending a summit at which he promised to hold ‘free and fair’ elections, which critics derided as a sham The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen to more than 3,300, state media said yesterday, as the UN aid chief made a renewed call for the world to help the disaster-struck nation. The quake on Friday last week flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure across the country, resulting in 3,354 deaths and 4,508 people injured, with 220 others missing, new figures published by state media showed. More than one week after the disaster, many people in the country are still without shelter, either forced to sleep outdoors because their homes were destroyed or wary of further collapses. A UN estimate
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term