New York's subways were under increased security yesterday after receiving what local officials described as the most specific threat to date of a terrorist attack in the coming days.
"This is the first time that we have had a threat with this level of specificity," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on Thursday. "It was more specific as to target, it was more specific as to timing."
Although the intelligence behind the alert had yet to be corroborated, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said that it had been deemed of "sufficient concern" to enhance counter-terrorism operations on the subway network, as well as buses and ferries.
PHOTO: AP
Officials refused to provide details of the precise nature of the threat, although Kelly said an existing policy of random searches on the subway would be intensified, with a particular emphasis on baggage and baby strollers.
Despite the increased security, subways were running as normal and New York City remained on the second highest alert level, where it has been since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
US media quoted Department of Homeland Security officials as saying they doubted the credibility of the threat.
"The intelligence community has concluded that this information is of doubtful credibility," the department said in a statement.
CNN quoted a senior Pentagon official as saying US troops, acting on the same intelligence, had taken part in a raid south of Baghdad late Wednesday and rounded up several al-Qaeda operatives.
The head of the FBI's New York field office, Mark Mershon, said the new threat had been "partially disrupted" but declined to elaborate beyond confirming that no arrests had been made in the city itself.
Bloomberg said the warning of the attack had come several days ago, but a public announcement was delayed.
"There were operations taking place that we thought were in the interest of ending the threat, and to release the information earlier could have jeopardized the lives of those conducting those operations," he said.
The new warning came just hours after a major speech on terrorism by US President George W. Bush in which he sought to convince Americans that Iraq was a central front of the anti-terror campaign.
Bush said the US had foiled three al-Qaeda terror strikes on its soil since the Sept. 11 attacks, and stopped terror groups casing US targets and infiltrating operatives into the country.
"Evil men obsessed with ambition and unburdened by conscience must be taken very seriously and we must stop them before their crimes multiply," Bush said.
In the immediate wake of the July suicide bombings on the London transport system that claimed 52 lives, New York flooded its subway network with police patrols and introduced a policy of random bag searches.
The New York subway -- fourth largest in the world in passenger volume -- carries 4.5 million passengers on an average working day.
"We've never had before a specific threat to our subway system," Bloomberg said.
"There have been people all the time on the Internet and every place else, saying you know, `I'm going to go get those guys,'" he said. "But suffice it to say [this time] its importance was enhanced above the normal level, by the detail that was available to us," he said.
In a city that still bears the physical and psychological scars of the Sept. 11 attack four years ago, the presence of police, anti-terrorist units and National Guard troopers has become a common feature of subway travel.
Bloomberg's announcement came in the middle of the evening rush hour and many subway passengers said that they were unaware of the new threat.
Others said they had heard the news but felt few qualms about going home as usual.
"This isn't the first time and it won't be the last," said Marion Cox, 32, as she prepared to board a downtown train at Manhattan's Grand Central Station.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but