For the first time since Hurricane Katrina hit, the brass bell tolled on Sunday at St. Patrick's Church to welcome to Mass a handful of worshippers, mostly rescue workers and police officers.
"You can call this a homecoming bell for New Orleans," Robert Ramirez said as he rang the huge bell just before 8am at the church on Camp Street, near the French Quarter. "We have good news we want to get out. We are trying to get up and running. The whole thing is starting to come together."
Despite the sparse attendance, Mass at St. Patrick's was among the signs that life was returning to near normality in some areas of New Orleans. Thousands of residents who had fled Hurricane Katrina began returning to the area this weekend, most of them to homes relatively unscathed.
PHOTO: NY TIMES
At St. Louis Cathedral in the heart of the French Quarter, Archbishop Alfred Hughes celebrated Mass for the first time since the storm hit more than a month ago. The overflowing crowd included hundreds of local worshipers as well as police officers, members of the National Guard and dozens of other rescue workers.
"We in New Orleans are a people of faith," Hughes said. "What if this tragedy should push ourselves to a greater good?"
News cameras crowded around the church, annoying some of the residents who had come seeking solace. A sign that prohibited taking photographs during Mass was ignored for the day.
"I just want to hear the word and go home," said Larry Bastian, 38, who had moved to a new apartment after his home in New Orleans East was destroyed. "I have a job here, but no family, no friends. They are all gone. So here I am, tired and lonely."
At St. Patrick's, parishioners embraced, relieved to see friends they had not heard from in weeks. They exchanged stories of traveling to safety and returning to varying degrees of destruction. They all wondered if the church they loved would ever have as many worshippers as it did before the hurricane.
"All of September, we missed all of September," said Kathy Jordan, 57, shaking her head as she thought about the last time she attended Mass at St. Patrick's. Her home in Belle Chasse had some roof damage, and the homes of her nieces and sisters were destroyed.
"Even now, nobody knows what they are going to do," she said. "We just get back and try to start all over."
A revised city re-entry plan allowed some 200,000 residents to return to several parts of the city late last week and more came back to homes in the surrounding areas. And as the highway exits opened, supermarkets restocked their shelves and restaurants began serving food, homeowners began making their way home.
There is now way to know just how many of the residents returned. But if the weekend was any guide, residents seem likely to return in a slow trickle, not a surging wave.
Checkpoints were not choked with traffic, though a steady stream of traffic continued on highways and several city streets. Several residents were simply looking at their homes and looking at the city in the rearview mirror, returning to wherever they had found a place to stay. Others were determined to settle in, even with undrinkable water and spotty electricity.
"It's messy, real messy," said Althea Williams, who returned on Saturday to her home with major roof damage after staying with family in North Carolina for nearly a month. "And if you can't drink the water, I'm not going to bathe in it. But I have to be here. I have a job here and a life here."
Others wondered if they would stick to their plans to stay.
On the Sunday before Hurricane Katrina hit, Ann Moll and her husband, Ed, headed to Baton Rouge. Moll could easily list the things she missed about New Orleans: elaborate Sunday brunches, late afternoon sips of vodka and the traditional Mass at St. Patrick's topped the list.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver