Floods, landslides and a boat accident following days of heavy rains have left at least seven people dead in the Philippines, officials said.
The Office of Civil Defense said the flooding affected more than 25,900 people, including 2,242 who had to be evacuated from their communities in seven northern provinces and metropolitan Manila. Many have since returned home.
The civil defense office said 43 villages in the northern provinces of Pampanga and Nueva Ecija were still underwater on Saturday.
Officials in Muntinlupa city, a Manila suburb, said the body of a 24-year-old man -- who had been swept away by a swollen river along with his two nieces, ages 1 and 2 -- was recovered under a bridge near his riverside shanty.
The youngest girl's body was later found in a lake that the river empties into. Coast guard divers were searching for the other child.
Civil defense spokesman Anthony Golez said a 13-year-old boy, his 5-year-old sister and a 33-year-old woman died in a pre-dawn landslide Saturday in a village outside the mountain town of Banawe in northern Ifugao Province. No one was reported missing .
Golez said the bodies of two teenage girls, who went missing after a boat capsized in rough waters in Lake Sebu in the southern province of South Cotabato, were recovered on Saturday. Seven students on the same boat had been rescued, he said.
Officials blamed garbage-clogged drainage canals for the quick rise and slow retreat of floodwaters in metropolitan Manila.
The seasonal monsoon rains that drenched wide areas on the main northern island of Luzon were aggravated by a low pressure system that swept through the region.
On Thursday, a river overflowed and flooded a major highway in northern Aurora province with up to 3m of water, forcing authorities to reroute traffic. Landslides blocked a highway in Real town in nearby Quezon province. The rains eased on Saturday and forecasters said they expected the weather to improve by today as the system moved away from the country.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver