The US could withdraw as many as 50,000 troops from Iraq by the end of the year because there are enough Iraqi forces ready to begin taking control of parts of the country, Iraqi President Jalal Talabani told the Washington Post.
In an interview with the newspaper that was published yesterday, Talabani said he would discuss reductions in US forces during a private meeting with President George W. Bush and said he thought the US could pull some troops out immediately.
"We think that America has the full right to move some forces from Iraq to their country because I think we can replace them [with] our forces," Talabani said. "In my opinion, at least from 40,000 to 50,000 American troops can be [with-drawn] by the end of this year."
After the newspaper contacted the White House and Pentagon for comment, a senior adviser to Talabani called the Post to say the Iraqi president did not intend to suggest a specific timeline.
"He is afraid ... this might put the notion of a timetable on this thing," the adviser told the newspaper. "The exact figure of what would be required will undeniably depend on the level of insurgency [and] the level of Iraqi capability."
Bush has refused to set a timetable for reducing the number of US troops in Iraq.
White House adviser Dan Bartlett told the paper, "We share the same view: As Iraqis build up their capabilities to defend their country, fewer US troops will be needed to complete our mission. The president will continue to work with Iraqi leaders and base his military decisions on the advice of commanders in the field and the secretary of defense."
Insurgents shelled the heavily fortified Green Zone and other parts of central Baghdad early yesterday. US commanders said more than 400 suspects had been captured during the offensive to retake the northern town of Tal Afar.
Two mortar rounds exploded near a military hospital in the Green Zone that houses the Iraqi government, parliament, the US and other foreign missions.
Security in the zone was boosted earlier this month after reports that suicide bombers were trying to penetrate the zone.
Police said at least two other rounds exploded in Baghdad.
US commanders in Tal Afar said that over 400 suspected rebels were in custody as a result of recent offensives there.
Meanwhile, three Turkish engineers kidnapped by insurgents in Iraq two months ago have been released near the central city of Beiji on Monday and have returned to Turkey, state-run Anatolian news agency said yesterday.
The three men were shown on a video released to Arabic television last month in which their captors said they were issuing a "last warning" to companies dealing with US-led forces in Iraq.
"They didn't push us around at all, but every night they threatened to kill us, saying `we will cut off your heads,'" the agency quoted one of the men, Fatih Yigit, as saying after reaching the Turkish border.
"The only thing our captors wanted was for our firm to pull out of Iraq," he said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver