The EU and its allies will ask the UN nuclear watchdog yesterday to demand Iran halt sensitive atomic work it resumed this week while stopping short of asking the UN Security Council to take action.
Diplomats at the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) were debating a draft resolution yesterday that expressed "serious concern" over Iran's resumption of uranium conversion, but left open the possibility of more talks on the crisis.
The resolution, drawn up by Britain, Germany and France, said the agency cannot confirm that Tehran has declared all its nuclear materials and activities. But it made no mention of reporting the regime to the UN Security Council, which has the power to impose crippling sanctions.
The text, which was to be reviewed later yesterday by the IAEA's 35-nation board of governors, noted that "outstanding issues relating to Iran's nuclear program have yet to be resolved, and that the agency is not yet in a position to conclude that there are no undeclared nuclear materials or activities in Iran."
It expressed "serious concern" over Iran's resumption of uranium conversion this week at its nuclear facility at Isfahan, saying the move "underlines the importance of rectifying the situation ... and of allowing for the possibility of further discussions in relation to that situation."
The measure requested IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei to provide the board with a comprehensive report on Iran's compliance with an agency safeguards agreement by Sept. 3.
Some developing countries worry that a measure banning Iran from producing its own nuclear power plant fuel by converting and enriching uranium could be applied to their nuclear programs, too.
``The enrichment issue is one of the problems we are talking about,'' the diplomat said.
Enriched uranium can be used to produce energy or to make weapons, depending on the degree to which it has been enriched.
Negotiations on how to rebuke Iran started on Tuesday when the board met for an emergency session. Although the IAEA board has the power to report Tehran to the Security Council, diplomats made clear they were not considering that step and instead were holding out hope for a negotiated end to the standoff.
On Wednesday, IAEA inspectors watched as Iranian workers removed IAEA seals at the plant in Isfahan. Workers were set to resume the final steps of conversion, a process that precedes enrichment.
Iran says its nuclear program is entirely peaceful. But the US and others fear Iran could use its program to build bombs -- concerns fueled by past revelations that Iran concealed 18 years of nuclear activities, including uranium enrichment.
The EU said in a statement it does "not believe that Iran has any operational need to engage in fissile material production activities ... if the intentions of its nuclear program are exclusively peaceful."
But Iran's chief IAEA delegate, Sirus Nasseri, argued earlier that all countries should be permitted to produce their own nuclear power plant fuel to prevent being "dependent on an exclusive cartel of nuclear fuel suppliers -- a cartel that has a manifest record of denials and restrictions for political and commercial reasons."
Reacting to the draft resolution, Ali Aghamohammadi, spokesman for Iran's Supreme National Security Council, said resuming the suspension would make no sense.
"Resuming the suspension is meaningless. The process of talks with the EU, proved that suspension of our activities was not a solution," he said in Tehran. "Resumption of the Isfahan plants' activities does not mean breaking the game. It was just for getting out of the nuclear impasse."
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver