London Underground operators yesterday reopened sections of two subway lines that had been closed since the deadly July 7 bombings, while police maintained a high-profile security operation throughout the network to avert any further attacks.
Officers also continued questioning 20 suspects held in Britain in connection with the botched July 21 bomb attacks on London's transit system, including two men arrested in raids in south London late on Monday. The government, meanwhile, said it was pursuing attempts to extradite one of the suspected attackers from Italy, and pressing forward with its hunt for anyone who assisted the suspected bombers.
The investigation is now focusing on possible links between the terror cell that killed 52 people when it bombed three Underground trains and a red double-decker bus on July 7, and a second cell that targeted the same transportation system two weeks later but caused no deaths when their bombs failed to fully explode.
Police say the four suicide bombers who carried out the July 7 attacks are all dead. And they believe they have arrested all the failed July 21 bombers, whose explosives detonated only partially and took no lives.
On Tuesday, London Underground restored full service on the Hammersmith and City line and the District line, which were partially shut down after the July 7 bombing at Edgware Road station.
Two other lines remain closed or suspended.
British Transport Police continued its highly visible patrolling operation across the capital's subway system and overland rail network yesterday, spokesman Simon Lubin said. Officers in bright yellow jackets were posted outside many stations, although the police presence was not as strong as Thursday, when a massive force patrolled the network exactly three weeks after the first attacks and one week after the second.
Home Office Minister Hazel Blears also planned the first in a series of meetings with representatives of Britain's Muslim community amid increasing complaints that young Muslims were being targeted by police in stop-and-search operations.
"Just picking people up on the basis that they are Muslim is never going to get the results that we want," Blears told the British Broadcasting Corporation's Radio 4 on Tuesday, reversing her earlier support for the controversial police initiative.
"Tackling terrorism is absolutely dependent on the confidence of these communities to feel that they can come forward, give information and be part of the fight against this threat," she said.
Meanwhile, Britain is also "pursuing extradition" of Hamdi Issac, one of the four suspected July 21 attackers who is being held by police in Rome, she said.
Issac was charged on Monday in Italy with association with the aim of international terrorism and possessing false documents, his lawyer Antonietta Sonnessa said. She raised the possibility that investigations in Italy against Issac could hold up his extradition. "One cannot possibly define the timing of the extradition process," Blears said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver