Bombs killed the country's oldest legislator and two US soldiers on the first anniversary of Iraq's sovereignty -- a day Iraqi President Jalal Talabani described as "blessed" despite the persistent violence.
More than a dozen Iraqis also were killed on Tuesday and US and Iraqi troops launched Operation Sword aimed at communities along the Euphrates River, their third major anti-insurgency campaign in Anbar province.
The campaigns have failed to stem a Sunni-dominated insurgency that has killed more than 1,360 people -- mostly civilians and Iraqi forces -- since Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari announced his Shiite-dominated government on April 28.
PHOTO: AFP
Talabani nevertheless praised the anniversary of the official transfer of sovereignty to the Iraqis because it led to the Jan. 30 election, the country's first free balloting in decades.
"This is a blessed day which saw the restoration of independence and national sovereignty," Talabani said after meeting US and British envoys. "But we think that the restoration of independence started after the epic, the legend, of the elections."
Those elections, however, were boycotted by the vast majority of Sunni Arabs -- either because of unwillingness or fear of the insurgency they now dominate.
Relentless attacks since al-Jaafari's government took office have sparked an escalation of sectarian tensions and fears of civil war.
National Assembly Legislator Sheik Dhari Ali al-Fayadh, his son and two bodyguards were killed when a suicide car bomber rammed his vehicle into theirs as they traveled to parliament from their farm in Rashidiya, 32km northeast of Baghdad.
Al-Fayadh, a Shiite in his late 80s, was the eldest member of the new parliament and had acted as temporary speaker. He belonged to the country's largest Shiite political party, the Supreme Council of the Islamic Revolution in Iraq, the senior partner in the governing coalition.
It marked the second political assassination in a week, coming after the June 22 killing of a prominent Sunni Arab who had been a candidate to join a committee drafting Iraq's constitution.
Al-Qaeda in Iraq, which has declared war on Shiites, claimed responsibility for al-Fayadh's assassination on an Islamic Web site. The statement's authenticity could not be verified.
Talabani said that the country would not be deterred by political assassinations and its security forces were working to eradicate the insurgency.
Efforts to include more Sunni Arabs in the political process suffered another setback on Tuesday when parliament again postponed setting up an expanded committee to draft the constitution -- which must be ready by Aug. 15 to be approved by referendum in October.
The postponement came after the committee said Sunni leaders, who nominated 15 representatives for the 71-member body, failed to endorse the list. Some objections also arose over candidates who allegedly were once senior members of former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein's outlawed Baath party.
Asked about the development, Talabani said although "we are strongly eager that the Sunni brothers be represented in the constitution committee," they should "not have one leg in the rebellion and another leg in the political process."
Also on Tuesday, a US soldier died in a suicide car bomb blast in Balad, 80km north of Baghdad, and another soldier was killed by a car bomb in Tikrit, the military said.
At least 1,743 members of the US military have died since the war began in 2003, according to an Associated Press count.
Five people were killed in a car bomb explosion in Baquba, north of Baghdad, police said.
In Musayyib, south of Baghdad, a policeman was killed when a suicide bomber wearing an explosive-laden belt blew himself up at a checkpoint, police said.
In Kirkuk, a suicide car bomber slammed into a convoy carrying traffic police chief Brigadier General Salar Ahmed, killing one of his bodyguards and a civilian, police said.
US soldiers allegedly killed an Iraqi news executive when he did not pull over as a US convoy passed in Baghdad, said Dr. Muhanad Jawad of Yarmouk Hospital. Ahmed Wael Bakri worked as a director at al-Sharqiya TV.
The US military said they were investigating. Bakri was the third Iraqi journalist allegedly killed in similar incidents in the past week.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver