Gunmen who seized a bus in the southern Philippines have released all 13 of their hostages but escaped authorities after a two-day hijacking drama, a regional military commander said yesterday.
The three hijackers abandoned a second vehicle that they had been riding in with their hostages and fled on foot in the town of Lakewood, 775km south of Manila.
The hijacking took a bizarre twist earlier yesterday when the gunmen accepted an offer from Pagadian Roman Catholic Bishop Emmanuel Cavajar to drive them to a new location in exchange for releasing some of the hostages after crashing the bus.
Cavajar and four of the hostages were left behind in Lakewood while the nine others were freed on the road.
The three men, armed with an automatic pistol, an Uzi sub-machine gun and a hand grenade, boarded a Rural Transit bus near the Sapang Dalaga, apparently with the intention of robbing the passengers.
passengers freed
However, the men panicked when they passed a military checkpoint and instead hijacked the vehicle. They later crashed the bus into a ditch in the town of Labangan.
As the police and military cordoned off the area, the gunmen demanded a new vehicle to bring them to Pagadian to meet with their "commander."
It was then that Cavajar offered to drive the hijackers if they freed some of their hostages.
After striking a deal with the gunmen, Cavajar struck out for Pagadian with the hostages packed in the back of his truck, which was being trailed by several police vehicles. Some of the hostages were released on the road or told to jump from the back of Cavajar's truck.
But instead of going to Pagadian, the gunmen ordered vehicle to Lakewood where they escaped.
The local police director, Chief Superintendent Prospero Noble, said authorities were questioning the freed hostages on the identities of the gunmen but said that he thought the hijackers were just "bandits" who botched their robbery plans.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver