The Iranian regime was yesterday facing fresh protests after powerful clerics disqualified reformists from standing in next month's presidential elections and approved just six, mostly hardline candidates.
Iran's top political watchdog, the Guardians Council, announced late Sunday that just six out of 1,014 would-be candidates would be allowed to stand in the June 17 polls.
Eliminated was the main pro-reform candidate Mostafa Moin, leaving religious right-wingers all but certain of taking over from incumbent reformist President Mohammad Khatami.
Those approved were powerful former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, seen as a more pragmatic conservative and the frontrunner in the race, four hardliners and one centrist cleric.
As expected all of the 89 women seeking to stand were also disqualified. The Guardians Council had said it would bar women from the presidency. A record 1,014 people had registered for a chance to stand in the presidential polls, but all were subject to screening by the Guardians Council -- an unelected body has the power to vet all laws and candidates for public office.
Challenging Rafsanjani will be four hardliners: Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, Ali Larijani, Mahmud Ahmadi Nejad and Mohsen Rezai and the moderate former parliament speaker Mehdi Karoubi. Qalibaf, 44, quit as police chief last month, and previously served as a head of the air force section of the powerful Revolutionary Guards Corps, a bastion of regime right-wingers. He has presented himself as Rafsanjani's main rival, an assertion that appears to be backed up by informal opinion polls in the Iranian press.
Larijani, 48, a former state broadcast boss and a Revolutionary Guards veteran, currently serves as an advisor to the Islamic republic's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Ahmadinejad is currently Tehran's mayor. Another Revolutionary Guards veteran, he is seen as a far right wing ideologue. The other hardline candidate is Rezai, a 51-year-old former chief of the Revolutionary Guards.
The disqualification of Moin leaves Karoubi, who is 68, as the most moderate candidate. Seen as a centrist, Karoubi served as parliament speaker before reformers were ousted from the Majlis in the February 2004 elections.
Moin, a 54-year-old former higher education minister and qualified medical doctor, was the candidate of choice of the Participation Front, Iran's main reformist party which is headed by Khatami's brother, Mohammad Reza.
Moin, who quit the cabinet in 2003, had previously been at loggerheads with powerful right-wingers -- mainly due to his vocal support of student pro-democracy protestors -- and his disqualification had been expected.
Veteran dissident Ibrahim Yazdi was also disqualified. The 74-year-old heads the banned Iran Freedom Movement, and used his registration appearance at the interior ministry to renew calls for the "release of all political prisoners."
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term