A Japanese security worker taken hostage in Iraq is believed to be still alive, the government said, but the security firm he works for said it fears he may have died of wounds suffered in the ambush that led to his capture.
The US military has collected several bodies from the ambush site in Hit, west of Baghdad, but the missing Japanese citizen, Akihito Saito, 44, was apparently not among them, a Foreign Ministry official said.
The Ansar al-Sunnah Army claimed on its Web site Monday that it ambushed a group of five foreign contractors, killing four of them and that the fifth one -- Saito -- was seriously injured and taken hostage.
Late Wednesday, international security firm Hart GMSSCO, which has employed Saito as a consultant at the company's Baghdad office, said an eyewitness reported that the contractor suffered fatal wounds in Sunday's ambush. The firm said in a statement on its Web site that it has not given up hope that Saito may still be alive. "However an eyewitness report indicates that wounds sustained at the time of the incident may have proved fatal," it said.
Hart's London-based press office also described details of what appeared to be a well-orchestrated ambush on the convoy Saito was helping escort west of Baghdad.
"The ambush was complex and well planned, incorporating the use of multiple improvised explosive devices, rocket propelled grenades, machine gun fire and small arms fire," the statement said.
Japan's government says the kidnapping -- which it still has not definitively confirmed -- would not affect the deployment of its 550 troops in southern Iraq on a humanitarian, non-combat mission. The kidnappers are not known to have made any demands for a withdrawal. But Tokyo has called on the US military, Iraq, Jordan and Syria for help in winning Saito's release.
"We are determined to do our best to rescue him as soon as possible, if his kidnapping is true," Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi told a parliamentary session on Wednesday.
Saito's family has backed the government's decision not to withdraw troops, but his younger brother Hironobu expressed concern on Wednesday about his health condition.
"It sounds like he is injured, but we have no idea how serious his conditions are and whether he is getting any treatment," Hironobu Saito told reporters in Chiba, outside of Tokyo.
About 500 Japanese soldiers are stationed in the southern Iraqi city of Samawah purifying water, rebuilding infrastructure and offering medical aid. The mission, combined with air and naval support troops, is Japan's largest overseas mission since World War II.
Last year, when five Japanese were taken hostage in Iraq and later released, many Japanese criticized them for recklessly entering Iraq and putting their government into a difficult position. In October, when militants beheaded a Japanese backpacker in Iraq, many here blamed the victim for his own death.
However, those incidents also fueled opposition to the government's troop dispatch. Many Japanese have criticized the deployment as a violation of Japan's pacifist constitution and for making Japan a target for terrorism.
Saito's apparent abduction has renewed some of those concerns.
Saito was being depicted in the Japanese media as something of a soldier of fortune. After reportedly serving two years with the Japanese Self Defense Forces as a paratrooper, he worked in the French Foreign Legion for more than 20 years before going to Iraq in December.
The Kyodo News agency said Saito may have been working as a security officer at a US facility.
Hironobu Saito said his brother had not contacted the family for about a decade. Even when they had contact with him, family members did not inquire about his activities. His father was unaware of his involvement in the Legion.
"No one in the family knew that he was in Iraq," Hironobu Saito told reporters late Tuesday.
The Ansar al-Sunnah Army is believed to be a breakaway faction of Ansar al-Islam, a Kurdish-led group with links to al-Qaeda. It has claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Iraq.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver