Prime Minister Ariel Sharon is expected to announce a three-week delay in the Gaza Strip evacuation early next month, immediately after the Jewish Passover holiday ends, a government official said yesterday on condition of anonymity.
Outgoing military chief Lieutenant General Moshe Yaalon said he didn't foresee settlers shooting on soldiers sent to evacuate them, and that he expected quiet to prevail in Gaza after the pullout, at least in the short term.
The withdrawal will be one of the items on the agenda of a meeting between Sharon and Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said. The date of the meeting will be set after the Jewish holiday, Erekat said.
A delay in the evacuation appeared to be a foregone conclusion after Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz on Thursday backed postponing the start of the forcible evacuation of resistant settlers from late July until Aug. 15. The late-July timetable would coincide with a three-week mourning period for the destruction of the biblical Jewish Temples, and though this is an annual observance, it suddenly became an issue earlier this week.
Sharon, who had fended off attempts to stall the dismantling of all 21 Jewish settlements in Gaza and four in the northern West Bank, abruptly consented to consider a postponement, citing the religious sensibilities of the many observant settlers there. Sharon has denied the government is using the religious rationale to cover for the fact that it is ill-prepared to resettle the 9,000 people who are to be evacuated.
Sharon has also dismissed suggestions that the delay is a first step toward scuttling the pullout, which polls say is supported by a large majority of the Israeli public, but has been opposed fiercely by settlers and their hardline supporters in parliament.
Israeli security forces are also afraid some Israeli opponents of the evacuation will turn violent, and they have announced plans to disarm settlers, many of whom carry army-issued semiautomatic rifles or privately owned pistols, ahead of the withdrawal.
A poll for the Yediot Ahronot newspaper published yesterday showed 64 percent of settlers saying they wouldn't resist evacuation.
Four percent said they would physically oppose the forcible evacuation. Forty-nine percent said they would obey soldiers' orders to quit the area, while 39 percent said they would obey rabbis' orders to defy evacuation orders.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver