Hong Kong's new leader insisted yesterday that the territory's abrupt leadership change wasn't part of a Chinese conspiracy, and pledged that the global business center was moving toward greater democracy and wouldn't backtrack.
"There is no question of going back," Donald Tsang (曾蔭權) said in his first briefing with foreign reporters since taking office on Saturday as acting chief executive. "The next stage will be more democratic than it is now."
Tsang replaced the unpopular Tung Chee-hwa (董建華), who had led the former British colony since it returned to Chinese rule in 1997. Tung quit, citing failing health, but many believe Beijing's Communist leaders sacked him because they wanted to install someone more to their liking.
But Tsang -- who serves until a new leader is elected on July 10 -- said the speculation was untrue.
"There is absolutely no conspiracy in this," he said.
One of the factors fueling the conspiracy theories was the government's awkward flip-flop on its reading of term limit laws. Last year, the government's legal experts said that if a chief executive quits, the law says that the elected successor would serve a full five-year term.
But after it became clear that Tung was leaving early, officials and legal experts in China began saying that Tung's elected successor would only finish Tung's term -- about two years -- and another election would be held in 2007 as scheduled.
Hong Kong officials quickly changed their minds and supported Beijing's legal interpretation.
Pro-democracy groups accused the government of caving in to Beijing and stomping on Hong Kong's cherished rule of law -- one the territory's biggest sources of pride. A popular theory is that Beijing favors the two-year option because it gives the Communist leadership a chance to see how loyal the leader will be. If he's sufficiently obedient to China, he'll get another five years.
Tsang acknowledged that the government did a U-turn on the law.
"Regrettably, our previous understanding was wrong," he said.
He added that officials changed their reading of the law after doing more research and consulting more experts in Hong Kong and mainland China. He said that the two-year option was fairer because the government would stick to its promise of holding the 2007 election.
Tsang also noted that the 800-member election committee that picks the chief executive finishes its term on July 13. He said it would be wrong to let the current committee elect a leader to a five-year term that would extend past the committee's authority.
"That to me is the nut of the legal argument," said Tsang, who declined to say whether he would seek election.
He added that a task force is researching ways to expand Hong Kong's democracy, and one approach would be to enlarge the 800-member election committee, which is dominated by people partial to Beijing. The political reforms were expected to be made before the 2007 vote, so he said canceling the election would be a mistake.
"An opportunity for us to go more democratic would be eliminated ... That's not desirable," he said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
SUSPICION: Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing returned to protests after attending a summit at which he promised to hold ‘free and fair’ elections, which critics derided as a sham The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen to more than 3,300, state media said yesterday, as the UN aid chief made a renewed call for the world to help the disaster-struck nation. The quake on Friday last week flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure across the country, resulting in 3,354 deaths and 4,508 people injured, with 220 others missing, new figures published by state media showed. More than one week after the disaster, many people in the country are still without shelter, either forced to sleep outdoors because their homes were destroyed or wary of further collapses. A UN estimate
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term